Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Moral equivalence - two beautiful words that end the argument

I'm always being accused of, and hearing others accused of this moral equivalence, once the accusation has been levelled at you it sticks like [censored] to a blanket, so there is no use scrubbing, it's an indelible stain on your character.

None of the events or persons described here are real, this is purely to illustrate a point.

Anyway, I was walking down a street on my recent holiday to Baghdad and I understandably took a wrong turn, it is a little chaotic there at the moment, mistakes happen. So I took this wrong turn, and something rather unfortunate happened. Now I can only really blame myself for this, Thomas Cook vehemently recommended various alternatives, and you know a place is going to be bad when they try to get you redirected. Anyway I came out of this side street and into cross fire, inevitably I was shot in the right knee by an American bullet, and in the left knee by an insurgent bullet. To be honest I was annoyed by the American bullet, but I found it understandable, I could not for the life of me reconcile myself to the insurgent bullet though, non-uniformed combatants? How dare they! I would have been hopping mad had the Americans not blown off my other leg, as it was I didn’t know what to think (stumped? groan).

Anyway I woke up two days later in hospital feeling rather thoughtful, and a thought crossed my mind. I wonder why the Americans and the insurgents are firing at each other, when they have so much in common, after all is it not a fundamental belief in the USA that a man should have the right to bear arms to protect his home and lands against invaders? Hold that thought Mack I think you just fell foul of that old chestnut ‘moral equivalence’ again.

Regards Mack