Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Position, Is it REALLY that important in some games.

This post is not about games with talented people. I am talking about party like .50/1 games where you are probably the only one that is position aware.

Keeping in mind that we have to question our teachers to learn, I think position is way overrated in alot of these games. I am having trouble when I have a good starting hand for late position and it is limped to me. If I limp or bet out no one follows the "script", in other words the players behind me don't fold to my "obvious show of strength", they are emboldened by it and get all worked up into a calling frenzy, sometimes they even start reraising, which sometimes goes on for the entire hand. These guys just have a real hard time folding a hand that they become the least bit attached to, they have to have what they consider a real good reason to fold and someone with position on them showing strength does not matter compared to the possibility that they may hit that third duce on the river.

I have found that sometimes you can use position on these guys though. Betting out big from early position with any two sometimes gets you the blinds. I think they never have time to fall in love with thier hand so it is easy to give it up to a show of strength. You can't seem to make money this way but it sometimes works.

Why does position not work for me:

1. Position is an over rated concept.
2. Position is not over rated but I have over valued it in my mind.
3. The value of position is a function of the skill of your opponents.
4. Calling stations negate the value of position.
5. Position concepts are over my head and I will never understand them.
6. I am missapplying the concept of position and need to do some thought and study on the subject.
7. Other

I could use some direction from others that have overcome this. I don't expect position to win big pots for me every time and understand that it is but a tool that will assist you in increasing your $$$$ win.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Position, Is it REALLY that important in some games.

[ QUOTE ]
the players behind me don't fold to my "obvious show of strength", ...showing strength does not matter compared to the possibility that they may hit that third duce on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that you want players to call to the river in multiway pots with unimproved low pairs? My idea of success is winning money. It's not winning pots. It's not geting my opponents to fear me enough that they stop trying to give me their money.

Until we agree on this, I don't think we can have a meaningful discussion of position, but position still makes a huge difference in soft games. Position lets you get paid off much more when your hand is good. Position lets you get away cheaply when passive players wake up in front of you.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM

Position matters even if your opponents don't use it. If you have a very strong made hand, position can help you get more out of it by virtue of everyone acting in front of you. If you have a weak draw, position can help you take free cards, or get out after there's a bet and raise in front of you. If you're the BB and the SB bets into you, you're forced to guess what will happen.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM

Thank you for the reply Pzhon. Your reply makes sense however there are a few issues that I just can not seem to understand. I hope you can help me clear them up.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand that you want players to call to the river in multiway pots with unimproved low pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes this is my understanding as well. I love it when someone stays in with 22 and I have a higher pair of a draw. I want to see a couple of people in the pot with 22, 33, 44 etc. What I am having problems with is that if we have 3 opponents with each having 22, 33, 44 and I have KK then they have more outs to improve than I do. Any 2, 3, or 4 trips up and beats us if we do not improve.
[ QUOTE ]
My idea of success is winning money. It's not winning pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard, I think that this is one of the first things that Miller teaches us.
[ QUOTE ]
It's not geting my opponents to fear me enough that they stop trying to give me their money.

[/ QUOTE ] Once again I must agree with you. If we are to win others must call and even raise. If they fold they do not loose and we do not win the most we can. I am not looking for fear from my opponents, I do want them to question why I raise a pot. If they are unthinking calling stations then actions that I take will not affect them. A simi bluff will be only another chance for them to call not fold. Sure I take a lot of hands to the turn and I am happy that I have callers still with me. Sometimes I hate the river, I want them to fold, and folding may be the only way I am going to win a hand that I was way ahead in.
[ QUOTE ]
Until we agree on this, I don't think we can have a meaningful discussion of position, but position still makes a huge difference in soft games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again we do not disagree. Position is important and valuable. The problem is not that I do not believe the position thingie, the problem is that I do not seem to be able to apply it properly in order to maximize my win.

I know this is sort of long but I have tried to make it brief.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:29 PM

Maybe you are not aware of it during playing, but when you have position you gather more information before conducting your action. Information is valuable in poker, since it improves the quality of your decisions (it probably already does for you to).
Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am having problems with is that if we have 3 opponents with each having 22, 33, 44 and I have KK then they have more outs to improve than I do. Any 2, 3, or 4 trips up and beats us if we do not improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dumb rationale.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:15 PM

Regarding your first point, that they have more outs than you. There are 3 of them. Of course they have. Secondly, if no-one improves, which is likely, you still win. So, if your raise with KK is called by 22, 33 and 44 pre-flop, quick maths tells me you win the pot about 50% of the time. I know you want to win all the time but, with them calling to the river you're getting 3/1 about an even money bet. This is what you are looking for.
I know it's frustrating when idiots suck out on you a few times in a row, but you must remember, if they weren't making these bad plays, you couldn't beat this game. You will get their cash in the long run, even if you don't get it in this session, Good Luck, Mahogany17
Old 12-26-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is dumb rationale.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of it, some of it? I am sure it was not your intent to answer in such a subjective manner. I am listening if you care to explain further.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am having problems with is that if we have 3 opponents with each having 22, 33, 44 and I have KK then they have more outs to improve than I do. Any 2, 3, or 4 trips up and beats us if we do not improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but if you have 22, 33, and 44 in against your KK, you're getting 3:1 on your money (not even considering dead money). Even if they, combined, have a 6 out draw to beat you, they are collectively a coinflip to beat you (overcards vs. a lower PP is a 6 out draw as well, for reference sake). Your odds are massively +EV. The amount of pots you win isn't the important thing, it's the amount of money.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:12 AM

There are a lot of +EV situations in position regardless of your cards. There are very few of these out of position.