Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Blind Steal ?

Assuming a typical opponent in the BB, what is the highest valued hand that you have where you open raise and it is folded to the BB and you are hoping the BB folds?

Obviously, you want want action when you have AA and would rather he fold when you have 27o, I am looking for the threshold hand.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Blind Steal ?

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming a typical opponent in the BB, what is the highest valued hand that you have where you open raise and it is folded to the BB and you are hoping the BB folds?

Obviously, you want want action when you have AA and would rather he fold when you have 27o, I am looking for the threshold hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot position...thats pretty important...where are you when you open?

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM

I don't think your position matters that much. The BB is still getting a little over 3 to 1 and will be closing the action HU. Yes, he might cehck fold more often to to your flop bet if your open raise was from EP...

If you think it matters, you can give three answers:
EP, MP and LP.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, he might cehck fold more often to to your flop bet if your open raise was from EP...

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly it...the lowest hand i raise with from EP i still dont mind if bb calls as i likely have him beat and will quite likely take the pot on the flop.

if im in MP then the highest valued hand i raise and hope he folds is i guess KJs/QJs/KTs or QTs depending on the tightness of the players behind me since those are just about the worst hands i raise with from there. again, not a very intersting question.

NOW in LP (steal positions HJ,CO,BU) we actually have something to talk about...this is why i asked about position.

but even from a steal position i dont mind if he calls with virtually any hand i steal with because i will likely take it w/ a bet on the flop and i guess it is better to have overcards and call the c'r or call/raise the donk (assumiing its correct to do so) than have to fold to a bet or c'r b/c your cards are too low to draw to anything given the odds you get from the pot.

maybe if you provide some insight into WHY you want to know the answer to this it'll help in framing the question

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM

10 9 sooted or K8
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM

Good point, I assumed the CO or button in my reply.

Tex
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 9 sooted or K8

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont steal with enough hands on the button.

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe if you provide some insight into WHY you want to know the answer to this it'll help in framing the question

[/ QUOTE ]

No real reason, just an interesting discussion with some other players.

[ QUOTE ]
if im in MP then the highest valued hand i raise and hope he folds is i guess KJs/QJs/KTs or QTs depending on the tightness of the players behind me since those are just about the worst hands i raise with from there. again, not a very intersting question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think your EV with KQo will be higher that .75BB if you get action from the BB?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 9 sooted or K8

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you think your EV will be higher than .75BB for T9s or K8o, if you get action from the BB?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Yeah, we've been over that issue with my game before. But how are you drawing this conclusion when I say that my threshhold for wanting action is 10 9 sooted or K8, meaning I dont necessarily want a call but I dont mind if they call, either. How does this show I dont steal enough?

Tex