Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Live Vegas Hand Against a LAG

Excalibur 1/3 NLHE, 200 max.

I have ~175.

Table has a typical mix of 1 LAG, several donks, and several tight-aggs.

Everyone checks to a LAG who has ~250, and opens for 10. He would do this with any pair, QJs, etc. I'm on the button with KQo and ~175, and I raise to 30. LAG calls. all others fold.

Flop: 2 players, 67. Flop comes A J x rainbow.

LAG checks, I bet 60. LAG thinks, tries to stare me down & get me to talk. Calls.

Turn comes rag. checdk-check.

River comes rag. LAG bets ~40, I fold.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Live Vegas Hand Against a LAG

I dont like the PF re-raise, but given that action, I think the rest of it is fine.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:26 PM

I like the PF re-raise against a LAG.

Did you read his probing as "acting weak" or "actually weak (ie. ace weak kicker)"? I play it totally based on how I interpret him there. He won't like you potting the turn if his kicker sucks.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:23 PM

Against LAGs i bluff-raise the river about 15-20% of the time after a turn check like this. Firing again on the turn is an option but thats more art then science. If he decided it was worth calling the flop ace-no kicker or middle pair then he is probably calling the turn. I usually play it the same way you did but this is a spot, giving the preflop 3-bet where you could make a move on the river.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM

all in on the turn if you want a better chance at winning the pot
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against LAGs i bluff-raise the river about 15-20% of the time after a turn check like this...

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't like this. A wise old bird once told me that solid players burn through a ton of money trying to outLAG LAGs, and I think he's right. I don't think a LAG ever folds an ace here... it's important to remember that LAGs are bluffed at more than anyone else, and as a consequence frequently turn into calling stations and are not good players to bluff.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM

It's fine, but I don't think you need full pot on the flop. I probably bet half pot. He's never folding an ace here and if he's calling you with worse than an ace, it probably isn't less likely for full pot than for half pot. It's just one of those 'does he believe you' things. And he is just as likely to decide half pot is more likely to be a monster than full pot. Save yourself $30 IMO. Very dry flop. If you have AK here, no point in betting more than half pot. You can get it all in by the river no matter what with your short stack.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against LAGs i bluff-raise the river about 15-20% of the time after a turn check like this...

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't like this. A wise old bird once told me that solid players burn through a ton of money trying to outLAG LAGs, and I think he's right. I don't think a LAG ever folds an ace here... it's important to remember that LAGs are bluffed at more than anyone else, and as a consequence frequently turn into calling stations and are not good players to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Looking over a ton of hands lately as a result of my downswing (described in my recent post) I noticed that I'm doing this less and less. 15-20% is probably a bit of an exageration. But it is worthy of consideration because pushing him off an ace since the pot is a decent size is a major coup.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pushing him off an ace since the pot is a decent size is a major coup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo, guaranteed doubled win rate as soon as the word 'pushing him off an ace' leave your vocabulary on ace high flops. Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pushing him off an ace since the pot is a decent size is a major coup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo, guaranteed doubled win rate as soon as the word 'pushing him off an ace' leave your vocabulary on ace high flops. Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you.