Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Default 3/6(6-max): AKs flops gutshot royal

No real reads on villain. On the flop I was hoping to 3-bet allin, but given villains smoothcall I obviously didn't have this option. Looking back I think I need to check this turn, but I figured I'd post to see if anyone else had any other thoughts.
Thanks,
-Ace

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($1372.60)
SB ($988.05)
BB ($479.55)
UTG ($855.70)
MP ($445.90)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $19.

Flop: ($53) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, BB calls $50.

Turn: ($153) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $900</font>, BB calls $204.55 (All-In).

River: ($1457.55) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1457.55
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 3/6(6-max): AKs flops gutshot royal

Vs. that stack I would play it the same once you bet the turn.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM

I definitely check the turn. You're committing yourself to the pot, but if villian calls or raises your bet, you almost never have the best hand.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-16-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero isn't always behind and he has a lot of outs.

Not saying I would bet every time, it's player dependent, but I wouldn't check every time either.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I definitely check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero isn't always behind and he has a lot of outs.

Not saying I would bet every time, it's player dependent, but I wouldn't check every time either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the frequency that hero is ahead that matters, it's the profitability of betting. If hero is ahead he's unlikely to get calls from worse hands, but since hero's hand has so many outs a bet commits him to the pot. Bet/fold would be fine if hero had TPTK without the flush draw because he needs to protect his hand and he can safely fold to a raise. With the spades, hand protection is pretty much moot. The only case where betting would be correct is if villian has exactly a spade flush draw, because that is hte only way we'll get value out of that hand (except for the 1/5th occurence of a spade on the river). Two pair, a set, a straight, a pair etc. are all more likely. Taking a free card against better hands, and inducing bluffs from worse hands seems a much better line here.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two pair, a set, a straight, a pair etc. are all more likely. Taking a free card against better hands, and inducing bluffs from worse hands seems a much better line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I guess I am just running good against donks lately.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 PM

On the flop there is a made str8, so I'm not sure what you expect Villain to raise with that you're going to be ahead of. When the turn brings a 2nd str8 into play of KT I don't see how having TPTK with a flush draw plus the str8 draw that may or may not be the nut str8 makes your hand so desireable.

A 6-Max Button raise doesn't require much, so Villain's calling standards are lowered too. Your CB doesn't mean all that much, but surely Villain needs a piece of the flop to call? Since the made str8 will be raising that pretty much leaves a draw like KT or maybe AQ. Depending on donkishness it could be AJ, KJ, KQ. These might see the flop but I'm not sure about calling a PSB.

When you consider Villain's hand range including an A I don't see how the A on the turn helps you more than Villain.

OK, so we get carried away and don't want to show a sign of weakness by checking the turn so you bet $100 and get minraised. I'd be thinking Villain liked the A and I'd flat call and hope for a sweet river.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Check behind on turn. Call any decent river bet. (Obviously, raise if you improve)
Old 12-16-2005, 05:59 PM

def. def. check the turn. Actually im not contributing anything becuase Big jim summed up what needs to be done.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM

please check this turn