Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Mostly useless hand

Reliving the glory, all pre-river bets are approximate.

5-10 6-max Party, 5-handed. Decent regular limps, SB limps, I check in BB with A9o. Flop is AA8 twotone.

Check, he bets $20, SB folds, I call.

Turn is an offsuit rag. Check, he bets $65, I call. Pot's $198 going into the river. He has $1560 left, covered by me.

That $65 bet got my full attention. Interesting bet there. Looks like he likes his hand and is not afraid of the flush. Smells like a boat and a cheerful one at that. Wouldn't it be great if...

The river came a suited 9, completing the flush and giving me the nuts. Hoo-yeah.

Could he possibly think I would fire huge into that pot with a flush when he advertised the boat? Yup. How much can I extract? Unclear. So, I bet $1,500. He put me all in for $60-odd more with A8 second nut and quit for the night.

Yada, yada, except in his place I would have definitely saved the $60 and usually would have saved a lot more.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Mostly useless hand

No way you don't get his stack there, but nice hand. I would have check/raised the river, though.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yada, yada, except in his place I would have definitely saved the $60 and usually would have saved a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ] you're saying you get awway from A8 there?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 PM

It's essentially even money, and usually if we get the money in you are beat or maybe tied. So, yes, I would typically not get all the money in vs him or as him vs me the way the action went. But as was pointed out elsewhere, check-raise was a better play. Just not nearly as fun.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 PM

vn read.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is an offsuit rag. Check, he bets $65, I call. Pot's $198 going into the river. He has $1560 left, covered by me.

That $65 bet got my full attention. Interesting bet there. Looks like he likes his hand and is not afraid of the flush. Smells like a boat and a cheerful one at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you put him on a boat here? he bet 65 into 68, it's just a pot sized bet. could be any A, air, or flushdraw imo.

also on river why is CR a better play? if you put him on boat why not go for bet-3bet?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Wierd. I made what I believe was the biggest laydown I have ever made today. 66 on an AA9 6 3 board v A9.