Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: NYC transit strike

[ QUOTE ]
The *real* blame, of course, lies with government. Government decided to put all the eggs in one basket and have a monopoly transit system. By eliminating any alternatives, the city put itself into a position to be blackmailed by the transit workers

[/ QUOTE ]

And who would operate all the unprofitable routes? at the unprofitable times?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The city must have thought that because there are laws against striking in New York, that they can exploit the workers forever without any consequences.

I think it is repulsive that a state can have laws that punish workers to such a high magnitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

The subway operators are being "exploited" at a current salary of $62,438 a year. Train conductors make $53,000. Subway booth clerks make $50,720. Bus drivers make $62,551.

The increase in salary being asked for would push subway operators salaries up to $78,654 a year.

Exploitation indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do these wages compare to other jobs in the NYC area? What about in relation to the cost of living in that area?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do these wages compare to other jobs in the NYC area? What about in relation to the cost of living in that area

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when has that mattered when lame points are being made?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do these wages compare to other jobs in the NYC area? What about in relation to the cost of living in that area

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when has that mattered when lame points are being made?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think there are lame points, other than the idiot who called the strikers lazy bastards. My conservative views tend to cause me to look with suspicion on union strikes. On the other hand, the figures Dynasty posted piqued my interest because knowing what little I do about the NYC area and the cost of living, the requested figures dont seem unreasonable on the face of it. Having grown up in a very poor family, I may have some more sensitivity to this facet of the situation than others. And before anyone tries, I am not saying the workers are entitled to a certain wage. But if what they are making isnt commensurate with the general wage level in the area and the cost of living, then they should strike.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And who would operate all the unprofitable routes? at the unprofitable times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody, presumably. Is that a problem? Do unprofitable riders have a right to make others subsidize their travel?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM

Yeah and stop delivering the mail to remote areas of the US too. Then Ray Zee would just be SOL. Government exists to promote the common good, though it should do it as cheaply as possible.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah and stop delivering the mail to remote areas of the US too. Then Ray Zee would just be SOL. Government exists to promote the common good, though it should do it as cheaply as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

FedEx seems to be able to profitably deliver packages to "remote areas". I don't really see a problem here. Is package delievery to the yukon some sort of basic human right that I'm supposed to pay for?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, the figures Dynasty posted piqued my interest because knowing what little I do about the NYC area and the cost of living, the requested figures dont seem unreasonable on the face of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is exactly why Dynasty is being lame in this regard, his post is not meant to pique interest it's merely attempting to get the 'f*%# me, that's a lot for driving a train' reaction
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FedEx seems to be able to profitably deliver packages to "remote areas".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find that even FedEx has 'loss leaders'
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, the figures Dynasty posted piqued my interest because knowing what little I do about the NYC area and the cost of living, the requested figures dont seem unreasonable on the face of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is exactly why Dynasty is being lame in this regard, his post is not meant to pique interest it's merely attempting to get the 'f*%# me, that's a lot for driving a train' reaction

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]