Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Set o\' Eights

[ QUOTE ]
MP is loose pre-flop (and fairly passive) and very passive post-flop. Comments are appreciated.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (14.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what specific reads you have on MP in terms of stats but the only hands you're losing to are QQ, 99, TJ, T7, and 75. Someone who is "fairly passive" preflop presumably doesn't raise with TJ, T7, or 75.

I think preflop is fine. I'd have checkraised the flop because it seems like a more likely way to get 3 players in for 2 bets each on the flop than leading out. I'm curious why you led out on this flop.

On the turn, MP coming to life and raising after coldcalling and then calling on the flop is strange and you're obviously somewhat concerned about 99/QQ, but I think that this can still very often be AQ/KK/AA or even A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

If it were heads-up on the turn I think you could make a better case to not 3-bet given MP's postflop passivity but with the chance to 3-bet and lay 14.5:2 to BB instead of 13.5:1 I think a 3-bet is much better than calling here. If MP caps you're pretty much screwed but you should still call down.

On the river at first I wasn't sure why you'd lead out after having not 3-bet the turn but since I think you were winning anyway I like the bet.

Interesting hand.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Set o\' Eights

[ QUOTE ]
I just checkraise the river. He's showing a lot of strength here on the turn, and 3x gaybets get everybody nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally don't understand why anyone would checkraise the river here given the turn action. Why shut out the BB from calling one bet the first time around? If you checkraise BB mostly folds and MP might 3-bet (in which case you probably lose, BTW.) If you lead out BB calls with made hands that he probably would fold with for two cold on the river and MP calls or raises, in which case you 3-bet and BB either calls or folds and MP calls (you win) or caps (you probably lose.)

I see way more bets going in when you're ahead by leading out than by checkraisisng this river given how you played the turn.

EDIT: Not to mention the chance that BB was drawing and MP, being passive, checks the river with his overpair or straight.