Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Apples

Stopped at a roadside stand over the weekend while on a drive with the wife. Grabbed a mixed bag of Golden Delicious, Jonagolds, one or two other types that escape memory, and couple types of pears. Easily 15 pounds of fruit. The grand total? $3.

The best part was them cutting up all the different types and offering free samples of everthing. Buying fruit from a supermarket is no comparison to fresh off the tree. Wow.

On a related note, also stopped at the Reptile zoo on Hwy 2 while on the drive. Been by it many times, but finally stopped. It was cool as hell!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:31 PM

fujis are OK, but im all about the gala
Old 10-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
And who has tried the "grapple"?

[/ QUOTE ]

senor choppy had one over at his house. i looked at the package excitedly when he told me to look at the 'ingredients'. ingredients? wtf? apples, artificial flavoring. i'm not sure if this is true of all of them, but his was just a lot of syringe-injected regular apples. lame [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 05:43 PM

Absolutely. Fruits and vegetables taste totally different when fresh-picked than when you get them in the supermarket, and they're sometimes even different types entirely. Supermarket produce is often types that are grown specifically to last a long time on the shelf, not for flavor. Tomatoes, strawberries, peaches, papayas, and corn are some of the ones I can think of that can taste almost like a different type of plant when you get them fresh.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And who has tried the "grapple"?

[/ QUOTE ]

senor choppy had one over at his house. i looked at the package excitedly when he told me to look at the 'ingredients'. ingredients? wtf? apples, artificial flavoring. i'm not sure if this is true of all of them, but his was just a lot of syringe-injected regular apples. lame [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's strange because the ones I tried had the texture of a grape - kind of like a plum.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Honeycrisp.

AINEC.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the joke was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honeycrisp.

AINEC.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of the 'correct' answer. However, it could be even more simply stated by just saying that any fresh apple will be miles ahead of whatever you're buying at the supermarket. I had no idea about this growing up in CA but I worked a summer at an arboretum apple store in MN and realized extremely quickly I had been eating nasty crap with absolutely no flavor my whole life.

Honeycrisp was *by far* the most popular and raved about apple we grew. IMHO it was probably 3rd on the best apples we had. The two best, however, had not actually been named yet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and may never be named or see the light of day. I can't even remember the names of the two apples I felt were superior than the Honeycrisp. One was a 'grandson' or something if you will of the Honeycrisp and I felt retained the crunchiness and sweetness but added a nice little tart kick of sassiness. That was the best apple I've ever eaten.

As far as store stuff during off season I don't really eat apples anymore almost purely b/c of my experience eating good apples at the apple store, [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 PM

For me fuji > braeburn, but never had a jonagold.

I miss apple picking in MA, especially apple baseball. Nothing like hitting a home run, which by our rules was a total disintegration that splattered at least two fielders.