Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your line?
Call 17 20.99%
Fold 12 14.81%
Re-raise 3 3.70%
Push all-in 49 60.49%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: 2+2: How smart are YOU?

THat is definitely true of most universities with lots of bright people. Lots of really brilliant people, and other pretty smart people who had something else going for them.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:47 PM

I actually got a gazillion or something like that, but I clicked the below 900 range because I am significantly less intelligent today, after having read this thread.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:47 PM

Intelligence might be positively correlated with SAT scores. However, thinking that you are really smart and intelligent just because you scored well in SAT is negatively correlated with intelligence. I think the latter one has a higher coefficient of variation.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM

nh.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM

I like when people cut up citanul, because then I can put them on ignore and reduce the amount of worthless content I'm exposed to. This thread is stupid BTW and it belongs in OOT, where it has probably already been posted 23435442 times.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know its not perfect, but they do correlate to intelligence to a certain degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

They correlate to certain aspects and manifestations of intelligence, which may or may not have any practical value. They do correlate to the talent and ability to take standardized tests. They have some predictive value as to the ability to do college work.

I would guess that SAT scores have very little predictive value about the ability to become a good poker player, and in turn to make informative posts about playing. I think that many people who may not have had the highest SAT scores can still do very well at poker because of qualities like street-smarts, killer instinct, natural creativeness, etc.

Also, anyone who believes the poll results probably believes that the ITM and ROI numbers routinely posted on this forum are true too. And believes in the Easter Bunny. Self-reported numbers about IQs, income, gambling, game scores, etc., are always "biased" (to be polite) upward.

In short, I don't see that the poll provides any useful information.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SAT relates to intelligence. I wanted to see how that relates to poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't and nobody affiliated with ETS claims it does. I won't even get into the issue of racial or class bias but the SAT Math and Verbal are merely tests of knowledge. A high score is more indicative of the exposure to the mathematical concepts and vocabulary than it indicates a high native intelligence. There are tests, however flawed that aim to measure intelligence; they are called IQ tests. Heck, with this new fangled thing called the internet you might even get a bunch of posters to take the same free IQ test and then have your results, you know, mean something.

More importantly, the SAT was re-centered in the mid 90s because our nation's increasingly poor students scored lower on it with each successive year. So a 1200 in 1991 is a much better score than a 1200 in 1997 which further screws with your data.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Citanul gets cut up when he deserves it. If the thread is stupid, ignore it, and move on. Certainly, noone is making you read it. I could have put it in OOT, but this is the only forum I frequent or care about, and the place I thin of as home, so this is where I posted it. I'm sure you can understand.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering where this forum falls on the intelligence meter

[/ QUOTE ]

...assuming the SAT is an accurate measure of intelligence...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM

Also, I think its hilarious that you say that [ QUOTE ]

I like when people cut up citanul, because then I can put them on ignore and reduce the amount of worthless content I'm exposed to.

[/ QUOTE ] In other words, if someone disses citanul, something must be wrong with them(!), since of course he is BEYOND reproach. How dare anyone criticize him!
Closed Thread