Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Flat vs. Threaded?

[ QUOTE ]
I personally agree 100% except for one thing. Mason and David read in threaded mode. I generally have to "force" Mason to put things in flat mode when we discuss threads, and even then he won't do it unless he has trouble finding the post he's looking for. This tells me that many people not familiar with computers may be doing the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm one of these morons using threaded mode. Why is flat better? And does it make a difference that I'm using collapsed? Please tell me I'm once again an idiot and old (I love being the outcast, even in a subculture of outcasts).

I like to know who responded to who and in what order. I can't seem to get that with flat mode. Am I missing something? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

And I've been on the Internet for over ten years, so I'm no newbie, I just kind of stick with what I like. No, I'm not crazy about the software here, but it's a frigging free service, so I don't complain (I don't get why people are always whining about 2+2, just shut up already and take the bad with the good!), but I seem to be the minority in this school of thought. Oh, well, no change there, I'm used to being the minority. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:18 PM

I use both flat and threaded depending on the situation (e.g., if a thread has a million replies and I'm only semi-interested, as is often the case in the OOT, I skim in flat). But I think threaded is definitely useful very often. I really don't like having to read always in flat mode. In my experience, forums where everyone is forced to use flat mode have much lower quality discussions because the interface is so bad for big threads that want to fork in different directions.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use both flat and threaded depending on the situation (e.g., if a thread has a million replies and I'm only semi-interested, as is often the case in the OOT, I skim in flat). But I think threaded is definitely useful very often. I really don't like having to read always in flat mode. In my experience, forums where everyone is forced to use flat mode have much lower quality discussions because the interface is so bad for big threads that want to fork in different directions.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're basically saying I'm not the only moron? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Welcome to the club [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

How old are you? How long have you been on the Internet? More interrogations to come... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Yes, I'm in a weird, tongue-in-cheek mood today.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM

Maybe it's just 'cause I've been internetting forever, and always used flat forums, and have a stupidly good memory, but I've never had trouble following the discussion on a flat board.

I even functionally read usenet flat, so maybe I'm just insane.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, forums where everyone is forced to use flat mode have much lower quality discussions because the interface is so bad for big threads that want to fork in different directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

what huge threaded forums are you reading?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's just 'cause I've been internetting forever, and always used flat forums, and have a stupidly good memory, but I've never had trouble following the discussion on a flat board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I have no problem with ppl using threaded though. *cough* NOOBS! *Cough*

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same here. I have no problem with ppl using threaded though. *cough* NOOBS! *Cough*

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]
How can I be a newbie? Or Noob? I've been on 2+2 longer than you!

That's it. Fight, fight! I can whip you in a wet noodle contest, I guarantee it! Let's take this outside [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with ppl using threaded though. *cough* NOOBS! *Cough*

[/ QUOTE ]
When I started reading twoplustwo, there was no "flat mode". Before we switched to this awful UBB [censored], we used the old forum software and everything was displayed in a mode equivalent to today's "threaded" mode. So that's what I got used to. So I'm pretty sure the people who have only ever seen flat mode are the noobs. I guess flat mode feels natural to people whose interent experience consists entirely of reading comments on their livejournals, but for those of us who are used to real interent forums like slashdot, plastic, k5, etc. that have a "nested" mode for discussions, flat mode sucks.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:49 PM

That was kind of the joke. A little too subtle, sry.

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 03:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

slashdot isn't a forum, and i think comparing them and 2+2 shows a really fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to this stuff.

slashdot is a news site. it has tons of visitors, and *VERY FEW* topics. if posts were in flat mode, even moderated, it would result in a billion pages of comments because everybody discusses the specific news topic. if 2+2 only had 5 new threads per day, it would have the same 'problem'. slashdot also relies on its community moderation to separate the wheat from the chaff.

avsforum is a forum. storagereview is a forum. hardocp is a forum. anandtech is a forum. arstechnica is a forum. battle.net is a forum. etc. huge user bases, lots of posts, and no threading. it is absolutely standard. veterans are only accustomed to it around here because of the old 2+2's style, and i would suggest that only the 'non-internet type' veterans continue to read in threaded mode because they don't know any different.