Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM

Default RISK: No More Crappy Warfish

Lux has agreed to give us 50% if we order at least 10 licenses. That would make the cost per person $13. There wasn't much interest in the league once we set a fee (I think eleven people responded), but this is a great deal and I'd like to get a lot of people in on it.

Scott
Old 12-12-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: RISK: No More Crappy Warfish

in the interest of full disclousure, are you a risk affiliate?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM

And where were you on the night of February 14th?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the interest of full disclousure, are you a risk affiliate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing that all transfers will have to be in whole dollar amounts, so yes, I will be making about $0.50 per person.

Scott
Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 PM

I am a nerd. I like nerdy boardgames. Where do I sign up?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a nerd. I like nerdy boardgames. Where do I sign up?

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me an e-mail address and include whether you are interested in purchasing Lux, joining the league, or both.

Scott
Old 12-12-2005, 08:46 PM

Go to their site and you can download a free demo and see if you like it. Gamespy wrote it up as a great RISK version that sounds like it has lots of map options.

[ QUOTE ]

Lux: This is a shareware title that has been all over the indie game news (Bytten Review, Game Tunnel Review, GameDev.net Developer Interview, and even TIGSource.) and was one of the IGF finalists. I finally got around to playing Lux, and have to add my two cents. This is the best computer implementation of a Risk style game that I have ever played. There are a huge number of player made plugins, and Sillysoft provides a match making service, though if you're an introvert like me, the AI is more than competent and can provide hours of world conquering fun. With excellent replay value, Lux is well worth the $20 to register.

Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux/Unix.

[/ QUOTE ]

From gamespy:

[ QUOTE ]
While computerized versions of Risk, the classic take-over-the-world board game, have come and gone, few have come close to the quality, simplicity and affordability of Lux. It runs on just about anything that runs Java and plays a lot like the game upon which it's based -- with a number of bonuses.

First of all, while you're welcome to use it, you're not tied down to the Earth-based map that Riskers are familiar with. Sure, we all learned the location of Madagascar from that game board, but did you really need to know that in the first place? Lux includes a number of additional maps and also a map generator, so if you grow too accustomed to, say, holding on to Australia for the bonus armies while moving in on North America, you'll have to adjust your strategy. You can take turns choosing your countries and placing your armies, or have it done randomly for you. You can play online, or against almost a dozen different types of computer opponents.

Everything else you remember is here: the continent bonuses, the three-way cards with wildcards, and the delicious mix of luck and strategy that's kept countless board gamers up late into the night. Best of all, Lux has a huge following, so it's never very difficult to find an human opponent or three somewhere on the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-12-2005, 11:11 PM

this is wonderfully addicting.