Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Unusual AKo hand, 30-60

This just happened, and my mind was doing summersaults whilst the hand went down.

UTG (38/14) limps, Hijack raises (unknown), and button (27/12) threebets. SB mucks, and I call in the BB w/ AdKc. Four of us see the flop.

Flop comes 962, two hearts. I lead out. Yeah, I know this is hugely debatable, and maybe even flat out wrong. I'm trying right now to set myself up to win vs. another AK instead of chopping. Plus if UTG has a hand like QJ, I want him OUT. Da Soona Da Betta.

Instead, UTG raises, HJ and Button call two cold, and I call, wondering what I'm doing here.

Turn is an offsuit ten. I check, and it gets checked around. Weird. Maybe UTG has hearts, and I'm really ahead here.

River is an offsuit ace.

I check and start licking my chops, thinking the button 3-bettor will bet his AQ and I can checkraise and do a little dance. But, alas, visions of me dancing get thwarted by UTG betting again.

Now, it's true that he may have Axh, so I guess I'm going to call him.

Hijack calls.

Button calls.

So I muck.

Comments?

Josh
Old 11-11-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Unusual AKo hand, 30-60

I don't see how the hijack and button overcalls affect your decision to call the UTG bettor. Given that the turn was checked around, don't you think one of them would raise the river if they could beat TPTK?

I think folding here at 13:1 is awful
Old 11-11-2005, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misspelled checkraise.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:54 AM

Hi Josh,

I'd be much obliged if you would explain why you mucked on the river?

thanks,
WT
Old 11-11-2005, 07:01 AM

bad muck josh.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misspelled checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i also like a checkraise/fold to 3bet line. with 3 players you have alot of equity and i dont know why you think a call doesnt have value, but since you think folding might be correct of course checkraising wouldnt be. so one of us is really confused by the value of our hand here.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:30 AM

Even if you don't checkraise, at least call here. By just overcalling, the other two players are pretty much assuring you that they don't have you beat. This is the best/2nd best card in the deck that could have came off for you, and you played your hand to get into this position.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:35 AM

I think the flop bet is pretty awful, but not nearly as bad as the river fold. I don't really understand what you were thinking on this hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 PM

I assume you posted this hand because someone had 2 pair or something, but as far as the action went the hand was played fairly backward.

~D
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Quick thoughts, more later

The flop bet, as I said, is hugely debatable, maybe. I'm not sure that I can provide an adequate argument FOR the bet. I'll talk about it later tonight, maybe.

The river fold is easier to explain. I tried putting my opponents on hands. And, well, I ran out of aces in the deck. If I just had to overcall, I could do it, but by having to over-overcall, well, that meant that UTG couldn't have an ace. It's pretty clear that HJ and Button both have big aces, and there's probably about 25% chance I'm chopping at best with button.

But the problem is UTG...what does he have? Unless he is stone cone bluffing into a field of four when the worst possible card for him comes on the river (which I think he does way less than 1 outta 20 times, probably more like 1 outta 50 times), I'm hosed.

It's funny that everybody so far as criticized the river fold, but nobody has put anybody on a hand yet.

I probably need to have the best hand here at least 10% of the time to justify a call (because I'll be chopping a decent chunk of the time). And even if I was ahead this time, I don't think I'm ahead 10% of the time.

I tried putting them on hands, and I ran out of aces.

Josh