Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Flopped a flush

I KEEP getting busted by some guy making a full house when I make a flush. Do I really need to jam the pot when I hit my flush like this? Is slowplaying out of the question?

Once I hit the turn, I knew I was possibly screwed again!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($36.40)
MP ($3.99)
Button ($13.56)
Hero ($18.95)
BB ($5.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2.

River: ($5.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls $2.65 (All-In).

Final Pot: $13.40
Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Flopped a flush

well beside this being a bad beat post, bb only has 5$. even if he has an ace with the -2 of blue squares he's going to put it in the middle.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 AM

I'm really sorry if this sounds like a bad beat post. I just can't seem to figure out if a made flush is a vulnerable hand or not.

What is a general guideline for playing a made flush? What is the possibility of it being outdrawn?

I mean if some guy has two pair, not very likely. If some guy has a set... very likely. So would slowplaying be optimal?

I guess you do come out betting hard, hopefully TP or two pair calls or raises you?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Lead the flop, put him in on the turn.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:01 PM

a made flush is usually not a vulnerable hand-if you really want to be weak tight you can cower in fear of paired boards when you've hit your flush. However, you played this hand decently and with his short stack he was going to be all in with his set/2 pair no matter what.

Shrug and move on.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM

What about Ten or King-high flushes? Same deal? Calling an all-in with these hands ok?

An example... if I were to fold here, would I have a case of monsters under the bed?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($28.90)
BB ($8.80)
UTG ($24.75)
MP ($21.73)
Button ($21.98)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($3) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $3, MP folds.

River: ($9) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $21 (All-In), Hero calls $16.

Final Pot: $51
Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a made flush is usually not a vulnerable hand-if you really want to be weak tight you can cower in fear of paired boards when you've hit your flush. However, you played this hand decently and with his short stack he was going to be all in with his set/2 pair no matter what.

Shrug and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I more or less agree with this. However, when you flop a flush, if you dont have the nut flush and you bet out and get called, a good portion of the time there is a guy drawing to the naked Ace. Ive learned this the hard way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM

One way that I sometimes think about it is if I flop a flush and someone else flops a set, there is a given number of outs for him to make his boat or quads. In this case the number is seven after the flop and, assuming he doesn't get there on the turn, ten after the turn. Thinking about it this way, you can play it about the same way you would if you had TPTK and you thought someone was drawing against you to make a flush or a straight.

The decision process in betting is pretty much the same. You want to overcharge them for their draw, but not bet so much that you blow them out of the water.

If I don't have the nut flush, I play based on my read. If I've seen a guy who will always play Ax pf, I charge him to draw at his outs. You can even charge him a little less if you want to keep him on the line. If he is any good he is willing to pay for nine outs to his flush, but he actually doesn't have nine outs; he only has seven as two of them are in your hand.

As for being afraid of the boat, unless I really put him on a set, I will just have to pay off his rivered boat. The hand below I think he may have gone from TPGK to trips. I would make the call.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Play flopped flushes fast. Play naked ace draws on monosuited flops fast, too. This makes Shania happy.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM

I do not think flushes should be slowplayed unless you are checking to an aggressive player.

Against most opponents even if you have the Ace high flush, too many cards are action killers for your hand to be a good one to slowplay.

If another of your suit hits, your action is pretty much dead unless you play a super micro donkey site. If the board pairs, then opponents have now two reasons not to call your bets.

If there's a straight draw out, unless your opponent has the cards and makes it, a potential straight is another action killer.

Bet while people still think top pair or two pair may be good, or make them pay to fill up or hit the nut flush.