Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Ethics of taking chips off table

This may be a misplaced post...but this occured on the ubet 50/100 nl table. This guy smallfortune bought in for about 3k, won about 7k to walk away with 10k. He was playing with Mahatma....not sure of all the details cause I started watching after it had been going for a while. So he leaves the table and immediately goes back with 3k....thereby pocketing the 7k profit. When he came back Mahatma went on a 10 minute tirade about how the guy was a scumbag, a cheat, an angle shooter. Smallfortune's response is he didn't know it was against the rules to take chips off the table. He said it was a lot of money and didn't want to lose it all. Mahatma responds he should play a lower level, to which the guy replies he wanted to play mahatma and mahatma only plays 50/100.

I am relatively new to nl poker, and don't railbird much. But is there some rule or ethics involved in taking chips off the table? i mean, this was some small shooter who was taking a stab at a big time player but wanted to keep his risk in check. And here was the one guy he wanted to play railing on him as if he'd spit on his mom. Any thoughts?

Gavin Sun
Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Ethics of taking chips off table

If I'm not mistaken, someone well-known (Ivey?) did this to Matusow once, bought in 20k, doubled up, then left, and he got really pissed. I thought it was the funniest thing in the world.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM

I think it's pretty bitch made when people buy in short and then leave after doubling up and coming back with another short buy. People on PP do this all the time, and I think they should put in some type of "rule" that prevents this. i.e., they have to re-buy with the same amount as they left with if it's within a reasonable amount of time (~an hour or 2). I believe Stars has this feature.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 PM

What if its max 10k buy in, he originally bought in for 3k and cashes out for 20k, and comes right back with 10k. Would this be allowed? Mahatma said something about it being a glitch in heads up.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 PM

They don't allow this on stars.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if its max 10k buy in, he originally bought in for 3k and cashes out for 20k, and comes right back with 10k. Would this be allowed? Mahatma said something about it being a glitch in heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

UB has this rule but it can be worked around
Old 09-03-2005, 02:51 AM

I would have done this only because Mahatma was the other player. He is the Phil Hellmuth of the online poker world. He thinks he's gods gift to online poker. Basically, he is the biggest crybaby in the world. Although, it was pretty funny watching him take 50k off of Matusow yesterday on FullTilt. Only Matusow has a bigger ego and kept reloading.
I don't have a problem with people taking chips off the table. I think it should be their choice. If Prahlad has 30K, you start with five, double up to ten, take the five off, you can only double up another five. If you keep then ten, you can turn it into twenty. But it's your choice. Some people prefer to play cash games short-stacked for strategical reasons.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:55 AM

i get pretty annoyed when people do it to me, but i understand why they are doing it.

going nuts and berating them is a bit silly though.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On Ultimate Bet, if there are more people seated you have to return with the amount you left with, or more, if you return soon after leaving.

When it's HU, and one of the two leaves and comes back, UB sees this as a new table that's starting so you can sit again with any amount you wish.

There are also other ways of working around it, but even though it is not always strictly against the rules of the site, it is considered bad form to do so. Obviously Mahatma could have refused to give the guy anymore action if he was really bothered by him taking chips off the table.

Marnix
Old 09-03-2005, 03:09 AM

It's called ratholing.