Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: 10/20 - 88 in blind battle

i came here cuase i wanted to think about this hand before posting, cause its pretty effing tough. i started to post yesterday, but wasnt sure what i thought.
ill say that i think youre 600 bet is perfect and check/calling is horrible.
when i first read i thought, bet 600, duh... DONT CHECK AND GIVE HIM A FREE SHOWDOWN!
whether to call that raise, i dunno. bigbigbig laydown there. undecided. really wish you hadnt posted results.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i came here cuase i wanted to think about this hand before posting, cause its pretty effing tough. i started to post yesterday, but wasnt sure what i thought.
ill say that i think youre 600 bet is perfect and check/calling is horrible.
when i first read i thought, bet 600, duh... DONT CHECK AND GIVE HIM A FREE SHOWDOWN!
whether to call that raise, i dunno. bigbigbig laydown there. undecided. really wish you hadnt posted results.

[/ QUOTE ]

fs dude I gave you a day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. it looked like the thread was dead. i have another decent one which i'll post now.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think check/call river is superior for obvious reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really *that* obvious that villain has either a hand like the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or a better made hand than ours, and not a hand w/ which he'll call one more bet on the river but won't bet himself?

I'm not saying that I prefer betting, as there's really no bet Yeti can make that will leave him in a comfortable situation if villain raises pot, but I'm just not nearly as confident as you that checking is the best option here. I understand that checking allows us to exercise pot control, making it easier to get to a showdown, and may induce villain to bluff a hand such as the naked A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or air. I just also think there are lots of hands villain could have (a strong jack, esp. w/ a big spade, an overpair, a smaller set, or a weird two pair) that we'd be leaving money on the table against by checking the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If hero checks, villain is going to bet most of the hands you name on the river. 2 pair, overpair, smaller set, these are all going to bet. So is a flush, so is air. About the only check behind hand that villain would have called Yeti's bet with is a decent jack with a spade, and that should be compensated by the number of times villain bets with air.

Pot control is the other key. As the hand played out, Yeti was forced to lay down the best hand. By check/autocalling the river, you are never bluffed out.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact basically everyone is going to say check so I'll move on.

River: ($956) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $600, Villain raises to $1700, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet more and probably feel sick, but call a raise. Underbetting like this, I call quickly. I will often go for a turn checkraise.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

River: ($956) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet more and probably feel sick, but call a raise. Underbetting like this, I call quickly. I will often go for a turn checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people in these games are getting pretty wise to turn check-raises, and the vast majority will check behind mediocre holdings. Obviously if I'd known he had KK i would have checked.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously if I'd known he had KK i would have checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is obviously going to bet it on the turn and call a raise.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you knew he had KK, not checking the turn would not have been your biggest mistake.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt that your leak?