Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Keyboard help needed for a computer novice

Hi,

A computer guy told me that my keyboard port doesn't work anymore and for me to get a new keyboard that uses a USB port.

I'm looking to do this pretty inexpensively. I've called around and was told that you can get a basic wired one for about $20. Or you can go the wireless route for 59-79 (w/ or w/o a wireless mouse.)

I've never used a wireless set up. Is it worth the extra money? I pretty much use my home computer to play poker and check emails etc. I guess I am just trying to figure out if the more expensive wireless option (which is more that I want to spend) is worth considering. I tried the search...so if there has been a post on this I didn't see it. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Keyboard help needed for a computer novice

Do you frequently get annoyed because you move your keyboard (to your lap, say) and the cable pulls taut? Then you'll enjoy having a wireless keyboard.

Otherwise you don't need it.

You may want to pick up a USB hub, though, so that you are not using up a slot just for the keyboard.

You can get those for under $20.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Besides the good advice Stevie gave, you should should also check out the feel of keyboards you are looking to buy. If you do a lot of typing of documents, you will notice a difference other than a fancy layout between various brands.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't have to move the keyboard much and the cord reaches just fine. So I guess I will get a standard corded one. I'm old school and usually use the traditional keyboard style (the fancy ergo ones seem odd, but I'll take a look at those too) Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info. I don't have to move the keyboard much and the cord reaches just fine. So I guess I will get a standard corded one. I'm old school and usually use the traditional keyboard style (the fancy ergo ones seem odd, but I'll take a look at those too) Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus the batteries never run out on a corded one. I guess I'm old school.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fancy ergo ones seem odd

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was suggesting that you try them out to see how it feels to actually type on it. Think back to the old keyboards of 10+ years ago and how horrible it would be to type on them now. Some newer keyboards feel great, and some are so-so to type on. Try to see how it feels to actually use it if you can. As far as the ergonomic keyboards go, I like mine, but I regularly use other computers and it's somewhat annoying to switch between the two.

Someone else mentioned a USB hub. If you have enough USB ports, there is no need for this. If you only have the one extra free usb port, but no other usb devices, then there is no need for this. If you buy something else later that needs a usb port, you can pick up a usb hub then. Also, some keyboards have the hub built in anyway.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:16 PM

"USB" is fairly new to me. I have two ports for sure and there are two more that look like those two underneath. My 2001fp has a USB cord (which I haven't used) and I don't have any other devices to hook up.