Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 03:12 PM

Default 1st big tourney

This weekend is the first bigger tourney that I have ever played in. Normally I play in a 20 dollar buy in ring game, but this one I got invited to is around 100 dollar entry fee. Ive played in tourneys before, but never this big. Anything different I should know about how to play?

(sorry if this seems like a dumb question)
Old 09-24-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 1st big tourney

Good Luck to you. I am new to this forum and have and still have a lot to learn but this is what i think. I played in my first tourney of more than 50 two weeks ago. I Played the 250 guarntee on ps. I just tried to relax and play cards and not let the money come to my mind. I cant say that I did that totally and was way too tight through the middle stages of the money and allowed my stack to dwindle from a top five in chips with about 70 left. I dont know what others would say, but i think that you can put more pressure on other players in tight situations beacause generally players at higher buyins play better and are more likely to make a laydown.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: 1st big tourney

<font color="black"> </font> If I were you the first thing I would do is relax take some time early to try and get a read on who may be the aggressive players and who is the tighter act on those instincts. Anticipate alot tighter play due to the buy in but expect at least 1 or 2 aggressors. Also a good tip if you plan on being one of the aggresive players do it early before people have a chance to get comfortable with your playing style another good move would be to show a bluff early and the really have a monster the next time. (usually pays off) just remember to try and make a pattern in your bluffs so you can use that to your advantage when your not bluffing. ( such as leaning back in your chair, tipping your hat, raising your glasses ect. Good Luck report back to us on how it went.

BigStick_25