Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Made trips on the flop, lost to a turned fullhouse

$35+$3 satelite to Scandinavian Open. I didn't know much about villain, because he had just joined my table. In the previous hand he made a runner runner straight flush to stay alive (he flopped a low flush and faced a higher one but turn and river helped him).

frimfilos is at seat 1 with 3625.00
scrappydoo is at seat 2 with 2830.00
SeXyCALmel is at seat 3 with 1675.00
Holmis is at seat 4 with 1250.00
The Mixxa is at seat 5 with 1900.00
-dayo- is at seat 6 with 1440.00
django1 is at seat 7 with 1910.00
LaCoste* is at seat 8 with 1930.00
Spelll is at seat 9 with 1805.00
king013 is at seat 10 with 1090.00

LaCoste* posts the large blind 100.00
django1 posts the small blind 50.00

django1: --, --
LaCoste*: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Spelll: --, --
king013: --, --
frimfilos: --, --
scrappydoo: --, --
SeXyCALmel: --, --
Holmis: --, --
The Mixxa: --, --
-dayo-: --, --

Pre-flop:

Spelll: Call 100.00
king013: Fold
frimfilos: Fold
scrappydoo: Call 100.00
SeXyCALmel: Fold
Holmis: Fold
The Mixxa: Fold
-dayo-: Fold
django1: Call 100.00
LaCoste*: Raise 400.00
Spelll: Fold
scrappydoo: Call 400.00
django1: Fold

Flop (Board: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]):

LaCoste*: Check
scrappydoo: Bet 100.00
LaCoste*: Call 100.00

Turn (Board: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]):

LaCoste*: Check
scrappydoo: Bet 1000.00
LaCoste*: All in
scrappydoo: Call 1530.00

Showdown:

scrappydoo shows: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (full house)
LaCoste* shows: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Kings)

River (Board: Kd, 8h, Kc, 7h, Qs):

Mainpot:
scrappydoo wins the pot of 4260 with full house

I've only called the flop as I was almost sure he would bet quite a lot on turn when I check it. This was probably a mistake. A raise to 500 would probably win a hand for me and I wouldn't lose to his turned fullhouse. Any comments?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Made trips on the flop, lost to a turned fullhouse

I think this should be moved to the bad beat forum.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this should be moved to the bad beat forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 02:34 PM

I don't complain about the bad beat. I only want to know what you think about my play in this hand. What do you think about my call on the flop etc.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've only called the flop as I was almost sure he would bet quite a lot on turn when I check it. This was probably a mistake. A raise to 500 would probably win a hand for me and I wouldn't lose to his turned fullhouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, suppose he'll do that on any turn, including ones that don't help him at all. Then the vast majority of the time you're making money by leaving him room to fire at you on the turn. So the main question you should be asking if you're seriously trying to figure out whether your play was good was whether this idea is true. I think it probably is.

There are definitely times where there is merit to winning the pot right away, but you have a nearly unbeatable hand right now (K8 and 88 are the only things you're behind to on the flop, and everything else is drawing very slim). In these situations you must extract as much as you possibly can. So your play was okay (though I might be tempted to try inflating the pot a little bit, given the smallness of that bet - I think you might keep 77 on a push here because it doesn't look like how a K might play). The reason that people are giving you so much crap about the bad beat angle is that it should probably be relatively obvious that this is true. That and it apparently feels good to laugh at the foolish newbies.

EDIT: Also, it's generally better to ask questions without giving the results. So don't tell us in the title that you lost; give the play, don't say what happened, and then wait to see what people say about your decisions. In this case, it would still be relatively obvious that you were posting this because of a ridiculous beat, which suggests that the decisions are all pretty easy.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't complain about the bad beat. I only want to know what you think about my play in this hand. What do you think about my call on the flop etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
It worked out badly in this case, but is probably a good play. When you flop trips, youo don't generally want to put in a big raise to get everyone with 2 outs to fold.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:06 PM

You played it fine. You've got a dominant hand on the flop, and if you think your opponent will lead the action when he's way behind, the check-call on the flop is fine. Then you got unlucky on the turn, he got 1 of his 2 outs. Even with his turn bet, I think you see KQ, KJ, another AK, or a non-set pair most of the time someone bets like this Villain did.