Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Math question from a newbie

Can anyone tell me for poker the most important factors to calculate in mathematical terms. For example, the particular mathematical calculations that would help take one's game to another level. Or is the math really not that important beyond the pot odds calculations. The books go into pot odds, implied odds, odds against making a certain hand, probability of making a certain hand, etc. There are all kinds of statistics you could calculate, but the books and articles never say exactly which of all these things is the MOST critical to learn to apply during play. I mean if you were to ask the top level pro who uses math the most, what is it that he/she would be calculating...just pot odds, or other factors, and if so what other factors are most important??? This may be a stupid question to the rest of you, but for me it is a confusing thing and I really need some clarity. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Math question from a newbie

i don't think it's a stupid question at all. obviously pot odds are critical. they're the foundation for alot of decisions, some easy and some not.

i think the most useful thing is putting the math together with your reads, and generating a weighted average of your chances to win versus the range of hands your opponent could hold based on the way he played the hand(or how he plays in general).
Old 06-18-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Math question from a newbie

Math is mostly used to determine strategy away from the table. You can do such things as determine the chances the opponent can beat your pocket 8s if he raises with group 4 or better and a Q flops. You can and should work out an interesting hand or two every evening, calculating outs and figuring out how much you theoretically gained or lost on the hand. Then when a similar situation developes at the table you've got something to work on.

There is only so much you can do with math since there are so many variables and so much unknown information. Flop is Q84 and you have 98, should you call? That's much more a function of how often the opponent bets without top pair than it is in your chances of snagging a pair or hitting your back door draw.

I suppose there are some geniuses who can calculate nat's eye-brow width during a hand quickly consistently and accurately. Actually, I don't suppose there are. But I am sure that it doesn't matter that much. If the pot is 6 and you estimate your winning odds to be about 6:1, then the difference between 5.8:1 and 6.2:1 is only pennies, and not worth the effort to calculate even if you could. Getting a better read is worth a WHOLE bunch more.

- Louie
Old 06-18-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Hello,Scorpius! Don\'t dwell too much on the math---put most of ur

effort in categorizing ur oppo. as loose,tight,passive,aggressive,maniac,etc.
His style will dictate ur response.
SittingBull