Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Tons of players limping with good hands

I was playing yesterday for about 2 hours and i noticed that everyone seemed to be limping from almost ever position with there big hands. I would be in late position with no raises in front of me and i would have a decent hand flop TPGK and end up losing to KK. Did they show some poker event on TV the other day where everyone was limping into pots. I dont remember ever having this many players at 1 table limp with good hands all the time. I think its kinda hard to play against this because u never know what anyone has if the hole table is limping.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Tons of players limping with good hands

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing yesterday for about 2 hours and i noticed that everyone seemed to be limping from almost ever position with there big hands. I would be in late position with no raises in front of me and i would have a decent hand flop TPGK and end up losing to KK. Did they show some poker event on TV the other day where everyone was limping into pots. I dont remember ever having this many players at 1 table limp with good hands all the time. I think its kinda hard to play against this because u never know what anyone has if the hole table is limping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I got hit with a KK last night that had just called my raise... I just be sure to note it on the player so I know they have a tendency to do it.

They're losing tons of money doing it, although I'm sure they think that they're making money. It might be left-over from when the tables got tight last week.

KO
Old 09-23-2005, 11:12 AM

i semi-love tables like this. my suckouts go WAY up. i love playing suited connectors and pretty much limp any position at these tables when isolation raises are non-existent, tons of passives limping in, and postflop is cake.

don't semi-bluff, don't play off suit marginal hands from EP, don't isolation raise with marginal stuff, and cut back on the aggression.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I got hit with a KK last night that had just called my raise... I just be sure to note it on the player so I know they have a tendency to do it.

They're losing tons of money doing it, although I'm sure they think that they're making money. It might be left-over from when the tables got tight last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm frustrated by people raising/three-betting with small pockets (22-77) and then hitting their set when I have aces: it throws off my read and I put in WAY too much action as a result.

Likewise with People cold-calling AA on the button after I raise EP and a bunch of people cold-call... It totally screws up my read in the hand.

However, in the first case: I'm pretty sure it cost them way more money to make their raises than I lost by having a crappy read overall. (long-term here).

In the second case, it may or may not have left some of my chips on the table...

It's REALLY frustrating though, which is pretty dangerous. I shouldn't be frustrated by very much right now...

--Dave.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 AM

I had a player do this twice with me today. Once with AA and once with KK. The funny thing is that I busted him both times. On both occasions with hands that I would have insta-folded if he had raised preflop. And he had the good sense to then abuse me in the chat box. Good times. Here's one of them to keep your spirits up.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has As Ac (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has Qh Tc (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20 BB. </font>
Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Agree. VERY frustrating when some people limp with their big hands and 3 bet and/or cap small pairs.

For a SMALL number of players that I have a lot of hands with, this does exactly what Dave mentioned. It totally messes with my reads on them. I've played with a few (3-4) players where I simply can't put them on a big PP or small PP because they are capable of raising/3-betting/capping with either. I'm guessing it is -EV for them over the long run.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:30 PM

At first i was having trouble playing this until i got some reads on players i lost 2 buyins from so many limpers. But then i relized what everyone was doing and it didnt take very long to get my money back + some. I dont mind when people do these things when u play with them for a while or know they like to do it. But when u get into pots with new people all the time and it seems like every new person that comes to the table is doing it. Thats when it can be a bitch. Owell let them keep playing Passive.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But then i relized what everyone was doing and it didnt take very long to get my money back + some.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you adjust? It seems like you just have to play the best hand as no one will fold out with a bad hand or raise with a good one. It's all limpers all the time. AK, AA (2x), KK all cracked in an hour from WAY better hands (flush to a set, FH to a set, Flush to two pair) that weren't showing any strength. Any generalities of what to do?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM

The easy side is capping small PP - negative EV. How often do they hit a set...7 to 1. So even if their cap is called by 4 people they are behind and there is little chance they will make this up post flop on implied value.

As for limping big PP it's -EV. I don't know the math well enough to explain it but it is something like if you have AA and don't get the value bets in while you're ahead you'll never make up for the times you get cracked.

As for those complaining about getting messed up reads...that's what varying your play is all about! Ok so these guys aren't varying theyu're just donks...but in that case see above [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 PM

I don't know if it's still like this but UB used to be full of players like this. It's hard to get a read but easy to give them a "suckout". I used the free card play a ton. They were aslo quite tight so stealing some blinds helped. But bluffing, semi-bluffing, slowplaying (obviously if the won't bet their own good hands they're not betting yours for you), and the check/raise pretty much have to be dropped from your arsenal. But they suck to play for sure.