Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 05:02 AM

Default KQo in BB hates the min-raise

Live tourney, 50/100 blinds.

UTG+1 has t4000 and limps.
SB completes.
Hero has t2300 and checks the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop (t300): K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets t300, UTG+1 calls, SB folds.

Turn (t900): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets t450, UTG+1 raises to t900...

UTG+1 has limped in several times thus far in the tourney, but the only hand he's shown so far was pocket aces he limped in behind 4 limpers on the first hand (he got no action on an A77 flop). I have no other read to go on.

This sort of hand is probably the most troublesome for me in the early-mid rounds of a tournament. Is everyone comfortable pushing in this spot?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: KQo in BB hates the min-raise

Push. If he has a hand that beats you... well good for him he played it pretty badly. W/ your stack im never looking to fold tpgk especially with like 1/3rd my stack in the middle.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: KQo in BB hates the min-raise

You don't have enough chips to get away from this hand in my opinion. If you fold here you'll be left with 1550. If you double up you'll have 4900. Especially since he has limped in before with the blinds that high. You can't put him on a big pair like that. This situation reminded me a lot of a hand in HOH volume 1. I don't remember the page but I do remember that the hero had QQ w/ a K showing on board and Harrington strongly believed in calling an all-in raise against his opponent due to the inflection points of his stack. Check out this problem, it may help with your thinking in this spot. I think your in that situation as well since your opponent's range is wider than a big pair and who limps w/ AK in EP? Hands that could be putting you to the test that you are ahead of or equal to are KQ,KJ,KT and any medium pairs that make second pairs to the board.