Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Why did Jesus have to die?

[ QUOTE ]

Just saying symbolism, martyrdom, 'my blood is the seed of the church', is not a coherent or adequate explanation. Good all powerful beings dont require human sacrafice.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The ancients had a real thing about sacrifices. Rather marginalized nowadays, but back in the day it was big big gri-gri magic, you know. Human sacrifice doubly so. Lots of human sacrifices back then to gods these people didn't consider evil.

Same thing with the sacrifice of a god, its not original or even uncommon. Jesus was sacrificed to himself because, well, in the culture of the day it sounded cool.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus was sacrificed to himself because, well, in the culture of the day it sounded cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You can't be serious. More back patting?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:03 PM

Back patting? What do you mean?

Sure I'm serious. In the Jewish culture of that time sacrifices were the most important part of their religion. Why wouldn't the most significant act of a new religion springing from that society be their messiah's individual sacrifice?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess religon is a good excuse for other countries to invade and conquer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What wars in the 20th century were initiated by religion?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM

its what fueling terroism right now. what about ethnic cleansing if africa.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guess religon is a good excuse for other countries to invade and conquer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What wars in the 20th century were initiated by religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bosnia, 6 day war, Rwanda, Ivory coast, Sudan, Uganda - not to mention scores of persistent conflict areas like Kashmir, Northern Ireland, Israel, Cyprus, Chechnya. That's just of the top of my head, sure there's loads more I'm not thinking of.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 PM

okay i guess the debate is over. the purpose of this question was to see if i could get a resonable answer from a person of faith. whenever i ask a how question i always get the same answer. how do u know theres a god?. the answer is always "u just gotta have faith". i dont see how this answer is good enough for people. the very people that give u this answer will question every other unknown fact in there life. riddick did it to me when he questioned that i went to a catholic school. how do people unflinchingly put faith in God yet question every other aspect of there lives. it seems hypocritical. therefore i asksed a why question that couldnt be answered with a simple u gotta have faith quote. the remarks have been limited but interesting.

thanks
Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 PM

Good job, you've successfully made atheism look stupider to Christians. Don't post unless you at least have the common intellectual integrity not to use "u."
Old 12-18-2005, 06:19 PM

I'm no devout catholic but I'll give it a whirl.

The body died but the thing from which Jesus acted from, which would be his pure consciousness, the knowledge of what it is like to act from that source, got passed down, or was what got attempted to get passed down, through the religion of Christianity. This is like the same thing as Dharma transmission in Buddhism, but some Christians think about it in a weird way. I think they think, 'If I act like Jesus, I'll be good and be like Jesus which is good enough. That's missing the point that they already are Jesus, or they are already the thing from which Jesus acted from, his pure consciousness his the same as our pure consciousness. It's just that we don't realize it cause we have a lot of attachments to conceptual ideas that cloud our ability to see ourselves as our true selves, which is just this basic awareness that is innate in all of us, the thing that is reading this page right now, that's God. Hashi is God ha ha you rule.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 PM

it should be about the ideas and debate why do uuuu have to get so nit picky. im not trying to re write the theory of relativity.