Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Eli Manning

I know, you must have missed the rest of my post where I said, "the last two years".
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their defense has improved much more than their offense has.

[/ QUOTE ]

their offense has improved just as much if not more then there defense. Giants offense is 8th in yards per game and 5th in point per game, they were not even remotely close to this last year.

[ QUOTE ]

Eli's improved, yeah, but he basically went from last year's Eli to last year's Kurt Warner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last years Warner started 9 games threw only 6 TDs, 4 INTs was sacked 39 times and fumbled 12 times. This years Eli in 14 starts has thrown 22 TD's 16 INTs has been sacked 25 times and has fumbled 8 times.

Eli is not even close to "last years" Warner.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 PM

...and he completed 63% of his passes with a 7.4 YPA. Maybe if he had Plaxico Burress pushing off every down he'd have done a little better in the TD/INT department.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 PM

As a Giants fan, what excites me about Eli is his performance in big moments. The TD pass at the end of the Denver game. The two drives at the end of the game in Dallas. Repeatedly putting them in a position to win in Seattle.

I don't have any stats to back it up (and anyone who has them who wishes to corroborate or debunk this is most certainly welcome to) but it just seems like he plays a little better when the team REALLY needs him to, even in games where he's been otherwise unimpressive.

-McGee
Old 12-19-2005, 01:58 PM

How about "I'm a douchebag because I think I'm too good to get drafted by the team with the number 1 pick so I complain and whine and get then to trade the pick to NY."

I love Peyton, but man is Eli a douchebag. I lump him with Brady and Belichick in the "I hope they get raped by angry homosexual well endowed gorillas with AIDS" camp
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Been a Giants fan since I was eight, through the best of times (Parcells, LT, Simms, and Fassel) and the worst of times (Ray Handley, Dan Reeves and Danny Kanell.)

Things I like about Eli: two-minute drill handling, spreading the ball around more than last year, pocket awareness, and arm strength.

Things I don't like but think he will mature out of: throwing into double coverage, accuracy, and consistency.

Who would I compare him to? Most obvious comparison is to his brother - a pocket passer who likes to change plays at the line, spreads the ball around, and prefers to throw rather than scramble. Sure, Peyton's more mature and better all around, but he's been with that offense for several seasons. Eli may not reach that status, but I think he should be one of the top five QB's in the game in a few years.

I'm really excited about the Giants prospects this year. I couldn't believe those clowns at CBS all picked the Chiefs to win on Saturday. The Chiefs lost to the Cowboys the week before, and the Giants came off a tough road win at Philly that restored their faith in Feely Goals.

ScottieK
Old 12-19-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and he completed 63% of his passes with a 7.4 YPA. Maybe if he had Plaxico Burress pushing off every down he'd have done a little better in the TD/INT department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read some stat that said that Warner had nine or ten passes completed inside of the opponents 5 yard line last year. That's a bunch of TDs he didn't get. He got a bad rap, played pretty well. That said, you can't argue with an organization who wants to get their QB of the future on the field.

As for Plaxico pushing off, he isn't the first WR to do it, and if they don't call it and it works, its a good play.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe those clowns at CBS all picked the Chiefs to win on Saturday. The Chiefs lost to the Cowboys the week before, and the Giants came off a tough road win at Philly that restored their faith in Feely Goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants also lost a bunch of lineman, their best linebacker, and were playing one of the best rushing attacks in the league. If you "canb't believe" that people picked the Chiefs, then I'm not sure if you've ever picked against the Giants.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Naw, I can't blame him but I'm just arguing that Eli isn't really better than Kurt was last year. They were what, 5-5 with Kurt last year?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Giants are 10-4 because of Tiki Barber and their run blocking. Eli has been decent and he has something to do with it. But he isn't the reason they are 10-4.

[/ QUOTE ]the Giants are 10-4 for two reasons.
1. Tiki gained some weight
2. Strahan lost some weight

both of them are having awesome years and have totally changed their respective sides of the ball this year.