Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 AM

Default getting slaughtered at party $50 6max

hey everyone, so far i've played 3500 hands at party $50 6max, and i'm getting cremated. my winrate thus far is an anemic 2.4 bb/100. given the atrocious quality of play here, this isn't acceptable for me. i realize that my sample size is small but just wanted to throw out some of my stats to see if there's a problem here. please let me know if you see anything that needs to change:

vpip: 18.16
pfr: 10.58
fold sb to steal: 98
fold bb to steal: 83
att to steal: 30
went to sd: 17.45
won $ @ sd:52.78
flop aggression: 8.13
turn agg: 3.89
river agg: 2.83

now i know my agg factors are absolutely massive in the limit world, but in no-limit i'm terrified of my opponent hitting 2 pair or something and sucking me dry if i check the flop, and i also generally always continuation bet, even oop.

also, the variance here is still friggin insane. i thought there was less variance than 6-max limit here. thanks for any help everyone!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: getting slaughtered at party $50 6max

bump
Old 12-16-2005, 01:53 PM

stats are standard. variance is a bitch.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM

I love how 2+2'ers treat winning less than they expected as getting "slaughtered" or alternatively "cremated"
Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM

had the same situation.. was running hot at around 10-15ptbb/100, then hit a wall and dropped to about 2ptbb/100.

i attribute it to cold cards, bad plays and loss of confidence.

stopped playing for a few days and when i did play a couple days ago, i dropped down to 25NL to get the confidence back.

have to say i feel a lot better now. i enjoy it a lot more after taking a break, and i'll hit the 50NL back when my roll is back over $1k.

got to take at least $500 out for new years in AC - should be fun!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM

2.4PTBB over 3.5k is nothing to get alarmed about. Two or Three big pots gets you up to 6 or 7. I can show you 10k hand stretches where I am negative PTBB.

In regards to variance, limit has greater variance over the long term, but NL short term variance is torture. Going on a 10 buy-in downswing (or upswing) is not unusual.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

damn. ok, thanks for the reassurance!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how 2+2'ers treat winning less than they expected as getting "slaughtered" or alternatively "cremated"

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking this exact same thing
Old 12-16-2005, 04:22 PM

These stats look OK to me, though possibly a little on the tight side. But I don't think this is the right way to evaluate your play -- there's all kinds of ranges of stats that could be OK or great or terrible depending on how they're played. I've found that over the past 10k or so hands I've played at 50NL, I've upped my winrate a TON by not thinking about stats in this way. Rather, I find a table with a donkey or two, preferably with stacks. There's no shortage. I try to figure out what kind of donkeys they are, which doesn't take long. Then I focus almost exclusively on them. I'll play as many hands as I possibly can against them, isolating whenever possible.

So my stats don't really reflect my average play at all. I'm slightly loose/aggressive against unknowns or decent players. But against those 80/0 calling stations you often find, I'll play something like 40/35 (especially when I can get them on my immediate right and depending on table conditions). And my postflop aggression will be close to infinity. Against overagressive donks, I do a lot of limp-calling or reraising preflop, and my postflop aggression will be much lower. So to say that I'm 30/15 with a postflop aggression of 3.5 is missing the point.