Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Middle Set facing lots of aggression, huge 3 way pot

This was one of those hands where nothing about it felt right, I hate my play on all streets. It was at the end of a long session, and I had been playing about half an hour too long. Anyway, the BB is donkish, he'll give me his stack with TPGK, he'll draw with horrible odds, and he's had a half stack for a while. He hasn't done anything too ridiculous though. MP is solid, a little loose pf, but decent and aggressive postflop.

My thinking at the time was that the flop could not have been safer for middle set, with no draws, and KK would have been raised PF. I still regretted checking it in a 5-way pot as soon as I did it though. On the turn, I called BB's bet thinking there was a good enough chance that MP or the button would bet, and I could raise while keeping BB stuck in the middle bleeding chips. MP's first raise could easily have been very light, he'd do this if he picked up the oesd, or with air. When BB reraised, I knew I had him, since he badly misunderstands hand values. MP's push is a tough decision, because he definitely has a hand, and the only thing I can put him on is 88, or a slowplayed 33. He might do this with K8 occasionally, but I dont think he'd do it often enough against 2 raises to consider it here. Comments on all streets welcome, thanks in advance for the help.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($237.80)
Hero ($616)
MP ($1095.40)
CO ($0)
Button ($525)
SB ($734.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $4, MP calls $4, Button calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($18) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($18) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $25</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $42</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $80</font>, MP calls $1066.40 (All-In), BB calls $191.80 (All-In), Hero???
Old 12-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Middle Set facing lots of aggression, huge 3 way pot

Looks like a set of 88's may have got there or a set of 33's. When you re-raise though you need to make it like 120 or 150. This will give you a better idea of what you are dealing with. MP could have 2 pair as well, but I think 888 and the other may have 2 pair, tough spot weird hand. I like to lead sets in unraised pots, wtih boards like this.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 PM

Easy call, shouldn't even be posting this.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call, shouldn't even be posting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 600 behind I fold this pretty quickly. Unless big stack is donkish enough to do this with bottom set, which I don't think he is.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM

i think i fold this one, as your flat call/then raise on the turn stinks of a set, and MP obviously doesnt care

but why oh why not bet on the flop. its a safe board, sure, but the reason to bet on the flop is to build a pot.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM

I call. I think I see Kx, AA, 83s, 33, or some stupid ass draw far more often then I see KK or 88. Yeah, not betting on the flop made it more complicated, but it's still an easy call.

I don't know what tables you guys play, but I play with a bunch or moronic donks. I don't know why you always think everyone has top set, this isn't Omaha.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 PM

I agree not betting this flop is criminal, I lead with sets 90%+, not sure why I didn't here. Given that I didn't, does a turn raise of $140 make this an easier laydown after MP pushes?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM

I dunno, this was a badly played hand, with position between a donk and a thinking player. Avoiding tough spots like this is obviously key in NL, but once you're there you have to deal with it. This also isn't Pacific, where someone will push with all kinds of garbage despite 2 reraises. Maybe it is a simpler situation than I originally thought though, I apologize if this a boring post.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM

Only Hellmuth could lay this down...

Betting the flop solidly might shake loose pocket pairs like 88 before they hit.

I doubt Big Stack limped with KK - many more people try to be tricky with AA, esp short handed.

Given how you played the hand, if I'm raising the turn, I'm sending the BB all in immediately.

I cant lay this down
Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM

What do you put the Big Stack on Joepa that he would raise all in on a turn with the following action

BB bet, UTG call, raise by bigstack, re-raise by BB, reraise by UTG...

It's got to be a set, it's either 3's, 8's or K's.