Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM

Default AA reraised preflop... call or push... medium stacks

$20NL home game, .25/50 blinds, 7-handed

Hero has about 50
Villain has about the same

Villain is a fairly aggressive player, and knows I'm tight. However, he usually does have at LEAST some kind of hand or a semi-bluff. He also tends to use the all-in push less when he is no longer a short stack (20 buyin)

Villain's minraise preflop has been everything from TT, KQ, AA. So, don't read too much into the minraise.

That said,

Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP1
1 limp to hero
Hero makes it $3 to go
Villain raises to $6 (very common from him)
Hero reraises to $15
Villain calls
(all else fold)

Flop comes: ($30ish)
K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero has about $35 left here. Just push?
Should I just call his minraise preflop and try to get more out of him on the flop?

Reraise all-in preflop?

What's the best line against a fairly aggressive player who won't want to let go of the pot?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: AA reraised preflop... call or push... medium stacks

1/2 the pot on flop, or whatever he will reasonably call. Push as soon as he is somewhat commited, unless that second k comes on turn

Cambraceres
Old 12-13-2005, 04:23 PM

With stacks as deep as they are smooth-calling pf doesn't seem like the best plan, better to start building the pot right away. After the flop if he will interpret a check as a sign of weakness rather than a trap, C/C isn't a bad play. Most of the time I think I just bet it though, maybe 1/2 pot. He has to put you on AA or KK so I don't think you're getting paid off either way. JMO
Old 12-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Flat calling his pfr would be tragic. You're OOP, and if he likes to raise anything, then you can't put him on a hand. You'll be flying blind.

Raise preflop as much as you think you can possibly get away with -- and don't miss low. You don't want a call anywhere near as much as you want to win the pot, so don't miss low.

So the raise is read- and image-dependent, but hopefully you think you can raise an amount that will get you all-in on the flop without a fuss. You pretty much accomplished that. Push that flop and your work is done here.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:43 PM

Bet 15 or 20 on flop and get the rest in on the turn.