Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-14-2005, 03:11 PM

Default table/seat selection

i have started only noting people i think are good, and i have some questions about notes, seat selection, and table selection:

when you see someone on 4 of your tables do you usually assume they are good and note them accordingly? or do you usually wait for hands to judge them? keep in mind, i'm 8 tabling.

when you see someone that you have noted is a solid player (usually some 2+2 pushbot), what is the best place to sit relative to them?

how many noted players does it take before you decide to not sit in a game?

any other game selection thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: table/seat selection

[ QUOTE ]
i have started only noting people i think are good, and i have some questions about notes, seat selection, and table selection:

when you see someone on 4 of your tables do you usually assume they are good and note them accordingly? or do you usually wait for hands to judge them? keep in mind, i'm 8 tabling.

when you see someone that you have noted is a solid player (usually some 2+2 pushbot), what is the best place to sit relative to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) why would you think someon's good just because they play many tables? wait for real evidence. nothing better than a guy who plays a lot of tables *and* stinks, no? why start marking him as good as the default?

b) different strokes for different folks. some people like spite calling, some like the easy blinds. depends on how good a "2+2 pushbotter" they are, and how you like to handle it.

c) depends on what the notes say, and what i feel like doing with my time

d) that's about it for now.

c
Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a) why would you think someon's good just because they play many tables? wait for real evidence. nothing better than a guy who plays a lot of tables *and* stinks, no? why start marking him as good as the default?

b) different strokes for different folks. some people like spite calling, some like the easy blinds. depends on how good a "2+2 pushbotter" they are, and how you like to handle it.

c) depends on what the notes say, and what i feel like doing with my time

d) that's about it for now.

c

[/ QUOTE ]
a) i just dont see fish multitabling much i guess.
b) what do you prefer personally?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you see someone on 4 of your tables do you usually assume they are good

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I definitely keep an eye on them.

[ QUOTE ]
and note them accordingly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
or do you usually wait for hands to judge them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but keep in mind you're going to have to view the game as a tourney as a whole, a few hands won't tell you much. I'll want to avoid sitting in games with players who play well early and around the bubble, but it's not so bad to sit with those types of players. If they are weak/tight early, I don't mind sitting with them. If they are just ok on the bubble, I don't mind sitting with them. I've run into a (I think) non-2+2er who plays the 55s all the time (top 50 on the leaderboard) who berated me for a bubble "suckout" when I was clearly correct in pushing. I don't mind sitting with him at 5 of my 10 tables, because he tends to make exploitable mistakes on the bubble that I have noted.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To their right. (Caveat: if you think they will have tighter bubble calling standards than most, and will not adjust them properly.) Otherwise, doesn't really matter.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've recently played in daytime games where I recognized at least half the names at my tables as at least halfway decent players. All you need is to play a style that adapts. For me it means playing a little more LAG early on, and a little looser on the bubble if I percieve tighter calling standards. I don't mind playing at these tables.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a real bitch starting up 10-tables in the first place - having to wait 10 minutes for some other guy, or 2 other regulars to finish starting up their tables is not something I am willing to do. I play the 55s, so other advice may be better for higher. I don't think table selection is important at all for 33 an below, at least it wasn't in my experience.