Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM

Default fold kk preflop vs solid player?

hand from the $10 rebuy, avg is 15k, ~700 left

villain is ender555... I can tell he's a solid player, and he also posts at pocketfives.com. He played recklessly at the beginning of the rebuy but tightened up once he built a stack. At one point I raised to 500 (50/100 blinds) with AK UTG after not having played a hand in quite some time (stack = 6000, he has me covered) and he went allin. I folded, very confident he had KK or AA, which he said he did, and that he thought I'd call because he'd been reckless earlier. Pot if I push (obviously it's push or fold) is 40k, I have 17k more to push. With all this information, does he have QQ/AK enough to call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

saw flop

CO (t22805)
Button (t16425)
SB (t7275)
BB (t11940)
UTG (t22885)
UTG+1 (t13277)
Villain (t21887)</font>
MP2 (t8294)
Hero (t20353)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t10000</font>
Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: fold kk preflop vs solid player?

Listen to Dan Harrington, for all the times you fold KK preflop it's just not worth it. What's the stats, if you pick up KK at a full table it's 24:1 someone has aces?

Take the odds.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 AM

Agreed. He could have QQ or AK as well. Do not idolize Hellmuth.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM

24:1 odds that he has aces means nothing in this situation
the reason I ask is that in his shoes, considering myself a solid player, and considering me as an opponent a solid player, I would definitely not make that play with AA only (should I make it with QQ? AK?)
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 AM

I didn't read the post, but the answer is no
Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 AM

I would say there's no way you can fold, ESPECIALLY given that he knows you have laid down AK in this situation against him before. He knows you have to have AA or KK to call, and what are the odds you have them? If he has the bullets, poker just dictated with the AK hand and this one that you are giving him your chips here.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 AM

oh I forgot to mention... he didn't know I had AK
originally I asked what he had, he said ATs (the hand he beat my AQ with early in the rebuy), I said I had 55, he said just kidding I had bullets, I figured you would have called because of my allin earlier (I absolutely believe him)

so yeah, I took like 2 minutes for that fold, so if anything he thinks I'm crazy and considered calling an allin with 55 and/or think that he has no credibility.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Default REPHRASE

ok this didn't get as much attention as I was hoping, so let me rephrase it.

Most of you consider yourself solid players: would you make the play that the villain did with any hand other than AA? That's really what I'm asking here. I know that I would not, and if other solid players agree, than hero should fold, since he knows that villain is a solid player. If solid players (even just a few) here would make the play with qq or ak then hero should call. Does anyone disagree with this reasoning? If not, would you make this play with QQ or AK (or a lesser holding)?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: REPHRASE

It would obviously depend on how I'd perceived you to be playing before this hand, but there are plenty of times where I'd be pushing with JJ/QQ/KK/AA or even AK in villan's spot.

I think folding KK here would be a bad play.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: REPHRASE

If he thinks you are capable of laying down a big hand, then he very well could be making this move with AK, JJ, or QQ and trying to get you to lay down AK or QQ. You only get so many chances in one of the big tourneys to get your money in with Kings, so you need to take it. Folding KK preflop in a big tourney is definitely -EV