Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Fast User Switching - Windows XP

This is a super cool feature within Windows XP. I set up a secondary power user account just to do day to day work on a separate desktop, but I'd like to use the same user profile between the two accounts if possible. Specifically I'll be using this while data mining, so I plan to run numerous poker clients, party mine, and Poker Tracker at the same time within the second profile, while I play on my main profile.

Any advice?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Fast User Switching - Windows XP

You might find it easier to use the Virtual Desktop Manager, available free as part of Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.

Gives you multiple desktops that you can swap between. Might be less fiddly than using fast user switching.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might find it easier to use the Virtual Desktop Manager, available free as part of Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.

Gives you multiple desktops that you can swap between. Might be less fiddly than using fast user switching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that will serve the purpose - he needs separate Windows VMs/sessions, surely, per Terminal Services/user switching? Separate desktops wouldn't let you run multiple instances of an application that doesn't ordinarily permit multiple instances on a single Windows session.

What aspects of the user profiles do you want to share - Favorites/Desktop files/My Documents folder? There are ways to achieve most of these, but not (AFAIK) a single way to achieve them all with one change.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that will serve the purpose - he needs separate Windows VMs/sessions, surely, per Terminal Services/user switching? Separate desktops wouldn't let you run multiple instances of an application that doesn't ordinarily permit multiple instances on a single Windows session.

What aspects of the user profiles do you want to share - Favorites/Desktop files/My Documents folder? There are ways to achieve most of these, but not (AFAIK) a single way to achieve them all with one change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ideally it would be all three + any special aps that require a registry preference. I already set up My Documents, how do I do the same with Favorites & Desktop?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 AM

This article covers Desktop redirection.

This has the equivalent for Favorites.

I'd be interested to know if the Desktop one works the way you want for multiple simultaneous users (ie UserA saves file to Desktop, UserB sees it immediately), feels like it should be possible but might not, if you know what I mean!