Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 AM

Default master level bot created?

The University of Alberta’s Computer Poker Research Group has developed an artificially intelligent automaton known as “Vex Bot,” capable of playing poker at the master level, though as yet it can only apply its gambling genius to two-player games. Vex Bot has been used by researchers to test the frontiers of artificial intelligence – and as the basis for a commercial poker tutorial program, Poki’s Poker Academy -- but some fear it may become a blueprint for programmers with more sinister motives.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: master level bot created?

What does "master level" mean, and how do they know that this thing plays at it?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 AM

unlike other games where computers have proven to be equal or supieror(sp?) to humans, i.e. chess and backgammon, poker has a large factor of "human" element. computers will never be able to match the human element. they cant think, only process.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Head. Sand.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Head. Sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, so cryptic, so vague. you make reference to a big bird who hides his head in the sand when scared. i fail to see any connection to the discussion.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unlike other games where computers have proven to be equal or supieror(sp?) to humans, i.e. chess and backgammon, poker has a large factor of "human" element. computers will never be able to match the human element. they cant think, only process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was actually thinking about chess, where it makes more sense to talk about playing at master level, since it is actually well defined. There are master titles, and if you can play even with titled players, you could say that you play at master level. In poker, the meaning is unclear.

However, I don't agree that it wouldn't be possible to ever create a bot that plays (online) poker as well as any human. This is exactly what was said about chess computers until the late 80s. The computers lacked the necessary "intuition" and "ability to think" to play as well as a human. Later development has shown that there are ways to compensate for this.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM

Let me make this comparison between poker and chess and the use of computers.

if you take the worlds greatest chess player and have him play against an average joe chess player, he will win 10 times out of 10.

However, the greatest poker player can easily lose to an average poker player (especially online). Look at the world series of poker as an example. The best players in the world havent won in 4 years. Its random new guy after random new guy. And at the WSOP the great players have the added benefit of reading players. If you took the best 5,000 chess players and had them compete in a big tourney the best players would win each and every time.

there is clearly no comparison between chess "bots" and poker "bots."
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 AM

i have no doubt in my mind that, at some point, there will be a computer vs human heads up match just like the chess one. there is also a strong posibility that the computer could win. the computer will "remember" all the plays the human made. the longer they play the better the computer can map out the humans style and then choose an action. the humans best shot is to end it fast before the sample size becomes large enough.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM

YSSCKY
Old 08-24-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Head. Sand.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, so cryptic, so vague. you make reference to a big bird who hides his head in the sand when scared. i fail to see any connection to the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would a computer be able to assimilate those two words and understand what he meant? I suspect not. And that's the difference between poker and chess. In chess every possible outcome can be analysed if you have enough computing power. In poker there are a lot of unknowns and context is important.

Having said that I don't doubt that competent bots are possible or already exist and if undetectable would impact severely on internet poker. I don't think this would be because most players would be losing players (they are already), but because playing against a machine is just less satisfying.