Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Default 30/60 Going crazy 3-handed

The SB is a TAG (21.38/15.86/1.63), though quite a few of those stats were collected from short-handed play.

The BB is a complete maniac (71.05/63.6/3.09).

Is this too aggro or just right?

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB <font color="#A500AF">(TAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB <font color="#A500AF">(Maniac)</font> caps</font>, Hero calls, SB <font color="#A500AF">(TAG)</font> calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
TAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, TAG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Maniac 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, TAG calls, Maniac calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
TAG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, TAG folds, Maniac calls $61.04 (All-In), Hero calls.

River: (16.03 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 16.03 BB
Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: 30/60 Going crazy 3-handed

wow....i wouldnt pay off a maniac until i have a made hand. i would sadly fold the turn and fight another fight. he prob has some pocket pair. what did he have?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM

Too aggressive IMO. What are you hoping he has that you beat - AT?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:11 PM

I think the flop cap is too aggressive. I understand wanting to get the TAG out, but he just called 2 cold.

I'd considering calling the flop 3-bet and then raising the turn. However, I would only do this if I believed maniac would be playing like this without a made hand *and* that I could get TAG out. That is *highly* read dependent on the maniac as different maniacs like to push differnt kinds of hands. Depending on the manaic, he could either have a flush draw, or something like 22 or 56[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. If he is the kind to only do this with a low pair (or a real hand, obviously), you are spewing chips.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:21 PM

throwing money away...It looked like you were doing anything to isolate the maniac. I think this makes sense preflop and on your first raise on the flop, but after the TAG's cold call, you better slow down. I'd get out of the hand on the turn if I don't hit and don't have a draw.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:47 PM

I don't like the flop. If you want to isolate the maniac with an ace, call the flop and raise the turn. It does the same as what you did but costs less.

I really wouldn't be raising much without a hand. Checking and calling with weak hands I want to see a SD with.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Your play is great for the maniac. You are putting a bunch of money with no pair and doing everything possible to knock out the third player. You are a dog vs a random hand on the turn.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:30 PM

your aggression in pots vs. a maniac (imo) should be proportional to the strength of your hand.

you dont slowplay strong hands, and you dont push marginal ones.

you want to maximize the probability of you winning w/ those marginal hands and maximize the pot w/ the bigger hands.

in this case, inducing a bluff or making him pay an extra bet or two is ok, and its different b/c he's almost all in...but i tend to be a bit more passive (i dont go off for that many bets w/ a high type hands but will still get 2 bets in on the flop, 1 turn and 1 on the river. by getting 4 on teh flop and putting in 2 in the turn (sb and bb's respectively) you make a big pot that your hand strength dictates continuing but you dont want to invest to much as that drastically treduces the probability your hand is good enough to have invested those bets.

you may win here b/c heis a maniac but this does 2 things,

1) it slows him down (more than check calling) b/c now he realizes you're playing back with very little and even nutsoes sometimes realize whats going on.

and 2) it may not be the most +ev ways to play vs. maniacs.

-Barron
Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 AM

you had to go a little overboard on the flop to get the good player out, but I like the idea. I'm never folding AQ to a guy with these stats. if he is what he looks like, he will routinely push any cards with no pair no draw. I show down king-high against this guy without a second thought. problem is it's a bit expensive to push out the third guy.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 AM

Looks good.

Will