Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 02-16-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Semi Theoretical Hand

Greetings. The hand below was played at micro NL, but I was curious how one would play this hand at higher limits with deep stacks. I've changed the betting amounts and stack sizes. Please share your thoughts. (I have included my reads based on the table I was at, which were spot on, so though people may play slightly differently, assume these reads are accurate.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|saw showdown

UTG+1 ($6000)
MP1 ($2200)
MP2 ($2000)
MP3 ($3000)
CO ($2500)
Button ($5000)
SB ($3000)
Hero ($2500)
UTG ($3500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, 5.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $20, 3 folds, CO calls $20, 1 fold, SB completes, Hero calls $20.

NOTE- the UTG min-raises. (at these micro tables that means either a low pp or it means 2 face cards but NOT AK or AQ Also, I know I'm out of position, but considering the min-raises... I like how disguised my hand is if I hit.)

Flop: ($80) K, A, K (4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO bets $60, SB folds, Hero calls $60, UTG+1 raises to $120, CO folds, Hero calls $120.

I'm not putting any of them on AA/KK or AK. I think the first bettor has an ace. I call with my 4 to the flush. The re-raiser has a king. I think he'll pay me off if I hit the flush... so I call. (furthermore, I think he is likely to put me on an ace or a king... he's not likely to put me on the flush because the Ace and King are out and the board is paired.)

Turn: ($380) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $380, UTG+1 calls $380.

should I have gone all-in right here? I'm 99% I have it.

River: ($1140) K (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $5, Hero folds.

I curse like a pirate.

Would anyone play this hand remotely like this?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Semi Theoretical Hand EDIT

I just realized... I don't know why when I cut and pasted this, all the suits disappeared. the 4&5 are suited spades. The flop is AKK with 2 spades. The river is the 2 of spades.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Semi Theoretical Hand

Somehow I don't like the fold for 228:1 pot odds.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:13 PM

"Somehow I don't like the fold for 228:1 pot odds." LOL I apologize. End of the work day and my editing is really sloppy.

I meant to edit that to 1/2 the pot.

If you can excuse my poor editing, I'm curious for thoughts.

For instance, at microlimits, you have very little folding. No one would lay down 3 of a kind on the turn... period. I assume at higher limits with higher stacks, you have more fold equity. Therefore, I could expect this hand to play out differently.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 AM

Preflop call: fine.

Flop call: dubious. I don't like drawing for big bets on a paired board.

Turn: Looks about right.

River: The check/fold is fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM

Not to nitpick, but this should stay on small-stakes forum. We separate the two not because we don't feel like hearing about small numbers but because the issues are uninteresting and the answer often depends on the opponents. Since the opponents at low-levels suck more, you have to take that into account.
As for questions like "so I have a flush draw on a paired board but don't think anyone has a full house"-they're relatively simple and not worth discussing.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Well, you can play any hand seemingly incorrectly, but correctly based on the quality of your read. But still, I'm not going to be anxious to get all my chips in on a weak semi-bluff -- such as baby flush draws vs paired board with two very big cards on it.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 AM

"Not to nitpick, but this should stay on small-stakes forum. We separate the two not because we don't feel like hearing about small numbers but because the issues are uninteresting and the answer often depends on the opponents.

I understand and respect that. I have been reading both forums and I see a big difference in play. Though it may not be as interesting to those of you accustomed to high stakes players, it is enlightening to me (and maybe others reading this forum) to see how the same hand might be played differently at different stakes and against different opponents.

"Since the opponents at low-levels suck more, you have to take that into account." Actually, that's precisely why I was interested to hear the thoughts of better players. At the low limits with bad players, the concept of fold equity is diminished. While it seems a substantial element in this forum. With that in mind, it changes the way hands are played. Knowing the opponents at lowstakes aren't as good "or as thinking", it reduces the kinds of plays you can make. Which, again, is why it would be illuminating to me to see the same hands played out by different levels of opponents.

I, perhaps correctly, thought this hand might play out differently at different stakes.

I'm just here trying to learn.

Thanks.