Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 02-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Given the choice of $$ or seat.....

Since my initial attempt at this got hijacked by a spammer......

At what point would you prefer to take the money and not the seat in a larger event. As much as I'd love to play in a WSOP main event, I'd have to say that if I won a seat but was given the option to take the cash equivalent.....I'd be watching the event on ESPN with about $10,000 less owed on my house.

I think the Friday night Bellagio event is about my limit (willing to take the seat for a $1,000 event)....but any higher than that and the usefulness of that amount of cash would not be worth risking to get a huge amount if I cashed in the higher event.

And you???

(don't hijack it please.....just start your own for theat)
Old 02-03-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Given the choice of $$ or seat.....

$$

I think if the offer was seat v. $$, I would take the money every time. (as long as it was equivalent in value)

If it was WSOP seat or $2000. I'd take the seat.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM

Since it is hypothetical, I'll say I'd have to be up 40k by the time it rolled around for the year. It's an arbitrary number, but to play in the big one, I'd risk 1/4 of my MTT earnings to date for the year.

In fact I'm at 7k on the year and if by some strange chance I can reach 40k by the week of the event (just a little off pace), I'm going to Vegas baby!!!

Of course I may also take a stab at a double shoot out or a super sat if I'm still running good.

-sloth
Old 02-03-2005, 02:47 PM

At this point in my playing career, I'd take the cash. There's no reason for me to think playing in a major tournament is even EV neutral compared to walking away with the money.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:09 PM

I would definitely take the money and if time still permitted would make another attempt to qualify depending on how much I've already spent in already qualifying. I personally would rather use the money to play smaller buy ins like the PS 250/500K guarantee where i feel my chances are a bitter higher while my experience would not give me +EV in the big one.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 PM

Leaving aside the fact that $10k is about six times my entire bank roll at this point...

Since I'm almost exclusively an on-line player, I have to think that my ability to read other players is almost as bad as my ability to conceal my own emotions. Would Raymer notice if I said, "Sweet!" every time I picked up AA? I imagine so.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Go on take the money and run.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:27 PM

I have yet to hear anyone say they would take the seat. I would take the cash as well (and play smaller tourneys) as my limit is prolly around the same $1k as yours for tournament entries.

Curious to see if ANYONE here on 2+2 would take the seat? On a side note - is it possible to get the cash without having to sell it to a third party (i.e. deregistering from the event online)?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:43 PM

It is interesting no one said they would take the seat. While $10K is a good amount of money, this is the premier event in the poker world.

Who knows, you get a good run of cards maybe you find yourself in the money. For me, it would probably take a great run of cards.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Since I treat poker as a hobby not a profession, I would take a seat. Since I am winning player, I don't need 10k for my bankroll, nor do I want to mix it in with my 'real money'. To have a chance to be known as the world champion and be set for life is rare. I know that it'll be -EV in terms of cash value, since I don't expect to be above average in that world-class field. However the non-cash EV is +++++++++++++++.
1. Play with best
2. Chance at being known as the best
3. Be on TV
4. Chance to be set for life
5. Have people on 2+2 tell you how dumb and lucky you are