Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Buying a Big Screen

I personally would not be wary of plasma burn. It's not very common and the picture on a plasma is like 5x as good as an LCD. Burn-in is like an LCD fanboy's wet dream. Can it happen? yes. Does it happen in real world applications? No. Think how many CRT monitors you have seen with burn-in compared to how many without. A 50" LCD would cost more and have a worse picture than a plasma. I recommend a Panasonic plasma, but other good brands are pioneer and Zenith. And yes, cnet is your friend.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally would not be wary of plasma burn. It's not very common and the picture on a plasma is like 5x as good as an LCD. Burn-in is like an LCD fanboy's wet dream. Can it happen? yes. Does it happen in real world applications? No. Think how many CRT monitors you have seen with burn-in compared to how many without. A 50" LCD would cost more and have a worse picture than a plasma. I recommend a Panasonic plasma, but other good brands are pioneer and Zenith. And yes, cnet is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this entire post. especially the part about the panasonic plasma.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 50" Sony 3LCD Rear-Projection TV but I haven't taken it out of the bo yet so I can't tell you if I like it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the box, though?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:12 PM

I bought the Sony 42" LCD Rear Projection a little over a year ago, and loved it. I upgraded to the current model in the 55" about a month ago, and love it as well. I got it with 5 year warranty, delivered for around $2550 on PriceGrabber.Com. If you can afford the SXRD (I think the 60" was around $4800), go for it, as those are really amazing.

Jesse
Old 12-26-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 50" Sony 3LCD Rear-Projection TV but I haven't taken it out of the bo yet so I can't tell you if I like it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the box, though?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not impressed. Simple, one color design and really it's just not much to look at. It does do a good job as a shelf currently for folded clothing and a couple misc. things I can't find a spot for.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Just curious about people getting expensive t.v.'s/video set-ups one year and then upgrading the next. I just seems like an astounding amount of money to tear through. What do you do with the old sets, move them to another room? Or take a thousand dollar bath on them or whatever by selling them?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.cnet.com

[/ QUOTE ]

www.avsforum.com is the 2+2 of Audio/Visual gear.

it's the best place to study specific sets and technologies

[/ QUOTE ]

AVSFORUM is for fish, check out HT Guide

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fish though. I'm sure if I went to the the pros' forum, I would have *** and be banned for my first post being so n00bish.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've owned this TV (Sony KDF-E50A10) for a couple months now - it's good, not great. How much you're willing to spend is a big factor. I spent about $2400 on this TV (+5 year extended warranty) from some random online store in Brooklyn. It was basically between that and the 50" Panasonic plasma. There was no question when I did side-by-side comparisons in Sears that the plasma's picture blew the Sony's picture away. But, the plasma ran up around $3500, and I didn't want to spend that much. I haven't seen any Sony SXRD's in person, but they're supposed to be amazing (true 1920x1080 HD resolution, whereas the LCD is 1280x720 or something and the plasma is 1366x768? this is off the top of my head but the #s are somewhere around there) and only slightly more expensive than plasma.

AVSForum is a great resource. I did a lot of research there.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the sony sxrds don't accept 1080p on any of the inputs (same as most "1080p" sets)
Old 12-26-2005, 06:02 PM

I picked up the 60" Sony LCD (not XRD) from Circuit City for $3050 (after tax) last week. These models are being discontinued because Sony is strictly pushing the $4500 XRD at the 60" size. I love the TV so far and I found it to be the best picture out of any LCD out there.