Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Pokertracker stats - Is this swing ridiculous?

[ QUOTE ]
How about -300 BBs in ~2500 hands followed by +425 BBs in ~4000 hands? Defintiely my most extreme ups & downs that I can remember.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Catt,

That looks roughly like -11BB/100 followed by +11BB/100. Thats a dramatic difference. How about showing us two General Info. Tab screenshots, one for the first period and one for the second. It would be interesting to see if you were playing substantially different in those two periods or not. Did you consciously change anything in your game?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Monty Cantsin wrote: I have to say that not only is there a special forum for posts like these, but it's the best forum on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly, it is one of the best forums here. Still, I think getting a glimpse at severe short-term swings is strategically beneficial. The more I play, the more I believe that emotional control is one of the more interesting and challenging things about this game. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to improve my performance when I'm running poorly; I discovered I haven't done enough work on improving my performance when I'm running well.

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Brooks wrote:That looks roughly like -11BB/100 followed by +11BB/100. Thats a dramatic difference. How about showing us two General Info. Tab screenshots, one for the first period and one for the second. It would be interesting to see if you were playing substantially different in those two periods or not. Did you consciously change anything in your game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I consciously changed nothing about my game. In my session reviews, I noted some poorly played hands in the downswing; but I also noted some poorly played hands in my upswing. I notice poorly played hands in most every session review. What I noticed most in my reviews was hitting / missing the flop, and making strong 2nd best against strong best / making strong best against strong second best.

These shots of the Gen Info tab are the best I can do -- I sorted by date and a 24-hour period is not fine enough to capture the beginning and end (the way you can in a graph). The most notable thing (if anything) to me knowing my own stats is my WTSD -- I am normally about 37% and I was noticeably lower both on the way down and on the way up. My blind steals were a hair low in both too, since I normally run about 43% at this level.

** A quick note on the stats: They're all 6-max though some appear to be full ring; I play on sites that PT doesn't recognize as 6-max automatically and I don't bother to correct it in this db. They're mostly 6-handed, though there are a few HU, some 3-handed, some 4-handed, and a fair bit of 5-handed play.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play on sites that PT doesn't recognize as 6-max automatically and I don't bother to correct it in this db.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Catt, you know that easy to do, right? Just use Utilities/Database Maintenance/6max and check the appropriate session boxes.

Regarding the stats, it's amazing how similar they look except for the W$WSF and W$SD. It looks like you made a few more plays from the SB on the upswing, but that's about the only difference and it's not a big one.

Did you have a change of physical or mental state in the two periods? Feeling bad to feeling good. Tired or sick to refreshed or healthy? Do you think you were tilting on the downswing? Maybe started playing passively because you were getting beat up? (Do your aggro stats look about the same?)
Old 12-24-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Catt, you know that easy to do, right? Just use Utilities/Database Maintenance/6max and check the appropriate session boxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never wanted to bother since this is a db I use only for 6-max. Nonetheless, I just learned you can do it all at once (without checking every session box), so I did it. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the stats, it's amazing how similar they look except for the W$WSF and W$SD. It looks like you made a few more plays from the SB on the upswing, but that's about the only difference and it's not a big one.

Did you have a change of physical or mental state in the two periods? Feeling bad to feeling good. Tired or sick to refreshed or healthy? Do you think you were tilting on the downswing? Maybe started playing passively because you were getting beat up? (Do your aggro stats look about the same?)

[/ QUOTE ]

All the stats are very similar (and note the sample size is very small). No special feelings that carried over to play; a bit irratible away from the tables during the downswing (which I need to work on). Some plays might be viewed as tilty / poor, but I have similar plays in the upswing and during every session. Whether it is tilt or just stupidity / not thinking things through, I'm not sure. Certainly no tilt-monkeyish LAGtardedness, just a few questionable calldowns, turn raises, etc.

That's in part why I posted this -- I ran at 11+ BB/100 both down and up, and my play (statistically and from a session review standpoint) was very, very similar. Variance in terms of cards dealt and results can be so dramatic that it is easy to forget how fickle our $$ results can be, both short-term and over much longer stretches.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I play, the more I believe that emotional control is one of the more interesting and challenging things about this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100%. Successful poker is a victory of discipline and intellect over superstition and fear. Unfortunately I seem to have about equal measures of all four.

For the record, here's what my last two months have looked like:

Merry Christmas!

/mc
Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 PM

vnh.

Merry Christmas!