Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Serenity: the movie

Yeah, I do agree with this. But some of the one liners from this movie are priceless.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:05 AM

I really enjoyed the movie, but I was a big fan of the tv show, so my word is not to be trusted.

I like stuff that can mix humor and drama well.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. The show is considerably better than the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And it's not even close.

Oh, and Serenity is a superb movie. Too bad folks didn't see it at the boxoffice.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 AM

That's because the trailer was HORRIBLE.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Interesting reaction. How much of the tv series did you see? I saw the Buffy movie when it came out in the theatres, and I liked it. When they made a tv show out of it, I resisted watching it for a few years, despite some friends telling me what a good show it was. I assumed any tv show based on a movie had to suck. But it quickly grew on me when I gave it a chance.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's because the trailer was HORRIBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that's what my buddy and I were saying. The trailor didn't really make sense and wasn't at all appealing, it took some witty one liners out of context making the viewer confused.

I, of course knew it'd be good because Whedon is just a genius plain and simple.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see. This is what I don't get. Buffy the movie was an excellent comedic slap at everything high school faux cool. The whole movie took nothing seriously, not even itself. It was a brilliant piece of satire.

Then you get the show (of which my friends have only made me watch 100 goddamned episodes). It takes itself seriously and tries to develop these intricate, yet involving plotlines, and fails miserably at it. The characters are trite and play exactly as they are written - as if a 40 year old is trying to write something hip for his 18-something audience. It's as if Whedon is trying to channel Salinger, and instead gets Dr. Seuss. On top of that the sheer number of banal add-on zombies, demons, ghosts, ubergods, etc. was just mind boggling. It seems no one could come to terms with the fact that the movie was a flash in the pan - a single serving dish. That anyone continued to be interested with the mind-numbingly pedestrian dialogue and stream-of-consciousness style plot devices is beyond me.

The movie was scathing and witty.

The show was ordinary on its best days.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of the tv series did you see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to my girlfriend's taste in television, our DVD collection contains five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel.

I'm guessing I've seen more Buffy episodes than most Buffy fans.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The movie was scathing and witty

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

We will have to agree to disagree about the series and movie. But I do think you're crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:31 AM

The problem with debating whether or not something is "good" is that it's so subjective. For example, take the rape scene in American History X when Edward Norton becomes a bitch in the showers of the jail. I would say that's powerful and disturbing. Yet on the other hand, someone could say that's it's comical and ridiculous. There's no way I can really refute what he is saying.

This applies to fluxrad's feelings on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the TV series. I argue that the character development was excellent (aside from the last 2 seasons anyways) and that the writing was extremely witty AND there were many parts of intelligent satire. But I can't really "prove" that my view is right.

I mean by no way is the "majority is always correct" right, but I think in this case, many critics and general TV watchers who have seen Buffy - TV version would disagree with fluxrad.

To each his own however.