Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Raise pocket 9\'s in EP?

The bottom line here people is that you don't want to play mid-pocket pairs against 3 or 4 opponents. My general policy is to limp in EP because I don't often find SS tables where a raise doesn't get me 1-2 cold calls and a blind call. Sometimes I will test the waters with a 99 raise in EP and see if I get heads up, which I may continue to do if successful.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Raise pocket 9\'s in EP?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i would like to reiterate that 99 does NOT play well against 5 COLD callers. i emphasize 5 COLD CALLERS. ppl do not cold call with nothing. even at small stakes. if the over cards come, you're pretty much toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

A PP does play very well against 5 opponents (cold-callers or not) because, when you set, the pot is so big that they have odds to chase, giving you a bigger EV. In fact, if anything, the fact that they cold-called means you'll get *more* action.

[/ QUOTE ]

My statement was given that you DO NOT flop a set. there are very few situations where you dont flop a set and would feel comfortable betting into 5 cold callers with 99 IMO. granted your post flop play is MUCH easier when you raise which is one of the reasons why i advocate raising with 99 EP but i generally do NOT raise out of expectations that there will be a lot of cold callers behind me.