Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 AM

Default flop boat, river vomit . . .

No reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($70.90)
SB ($98.60)
BB ($195.50)
UTG ($39)
Hero ($125.40)
CO ($133.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $3, CO calls $3, Button calls $3, SB calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $4, CO folds, Button calls $4.

Turn: ($30) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15, SB folds.

River: ($60) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $48.9 (All-In)</font>, Hero pukes then folds . . .

Comments?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: flop boat, river vomit . . .

Raise on the flop. The pot is $22 - a $4 bet suggests limping, not strength that may flush out the button. From a value perspective, you're not going to get all the cash, but the turn and river are chances for the opponents to hit.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:22 AM

I have begun to play hands like this faster on the flop. Maybe a min-raise at least. The pot is 18 and he only bet 4. That's not even a whole lot of value for you to smooth call. At least try to isolate SB. If everyone folds, so be it. I'd rather win a $20 pot than lose a $60 one. But I may be results oriented with that last comment.

Anyway, I raise the flop. $4 into $18 just isn't enough.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 AM

I'd call on the river. This doesn't look like a king more than 2/3 of the time.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:32 PM

These responses are so results oriented it's rediculous. Why oh why would you raise to blast everyone out of the pot when you have the nuts? The original preflop raiser also folded, so it's unlikely anyone has pocket pair better than 99. The chances of someone hitting running runner to win is what, 2%? When you flop a monster, you want to milk your opponents for every penny they have. Check/calling on the flop is required so your opponenets can catch up, which will hopefully result in getting their entire stack.

In any case, I would have at least bet a small amount on the river. Maybe $15, just under 1/3rd of the pot. When you check, it looks like you don't have the king, which you don't. But by checking you also don't know if your opponenet has the king. He could have the 5, and suspects you don't have the king, so he goes all-in. By betting, if he raises, you can be more sure of where you stand.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:37 PM

yo you dont raise the flop to blast people out, you raise it to build a bigger pot for later streets

bet more on the turn

river = fold
Old 12-17-2005, 02:22 PM

Regarding calling the river:

I think this is a clear fold, even though we're getting over 2-1 on our call. What hand plays through to the river like this on the button? A donkishly played A5s??? I really don't think so. A king in opponents hand makes sense, villain calls on flop getting 6.5-1 odds, overs here are very possible, especially with many of the loose passives at this level. Turn, passive player calls after hitting his best card. River, bam. Ultimately this illustrates while raising the flop is correct, not to protect yourself from fear of runner runner, but to build a pot against a 5 or an overpair. I like your river fold here because I just can't see a 5 playing this way. Though I might be way off, I play more full ring.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 PM

he could easily have a 5 with crappy kicker. k hits, and bam: kicker don't mean [censored]. if he really does have a k, then you didn't give the proper odds on turn anyways. if he has 55, then he was getting all your money. you should have bet more on the flop. the pot odds on the river aren't that bad, given how the hand played out. i think this is probably a slightly +ev call, and you get to see what villian will play like this.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:42 AM

Thanks, guys. Looking back I don't like my lineat all, I think it was too passive. I never got any information on my hand. So my new line might look like this:

PF-call
Flop- raise 12-15
Turn- pot it or push?