Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Middle Set facing lots of aggression, huge 3 way pot

Shorthanded, a guy described as "a little loose preflop" might be played something suited like 86 or K8 and caught 2 pair

Or 33

Two questions back to you:

1. OP has shown he likes his hand some by raising turn - any chance the MP is just trying to bully out the OP by raising huge and play against a player that the OP described as horrible? I think this might widen his range here

2. Any chance MP is trying to be tricky with aces here? I don't see many people who arent complete rocks limping kings because they dont want to be out flopped by ace-crap.

Who knows, maybe he picked up an OESD on the turn and is making a play with outs?

Also, there are no reads given for pfr%...if he isn't totally rockish he's maybe raising 88 pf shorthanded.

I just think the way this hand played out hero is ahead of a lot of things I could rationalize - esp with a sheety player all-in and wanting to just play vs him.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 AM

For those who might be interested, I took all the time and ended up calling. He showed 88. I deserved it for butchering a straight forward hand. Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:16 AM

I probably fold. Tough to laydown "middle set" and there are a million reasons to talk yourself into call, but i bet he shows you 88. Sometimes you just know.

Either he's got 33 or 88, and if hes good, hes not doing that with 33 to the action in front of him for all that money with smallish pot.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 AM

Everyone else has put in their reasoning, but I think that you have to call this because you really will see K8 or 33 a lot here.

That said, I don't expect to be a whole lot richer when the hand's over.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who might be interested, I took all the time and ended up calling. He showed 88. I deserved it for butchering a straight forward hand. Thanks for the responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the other guy?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:41 AM

sets arent meant to slow play this much.. the flop call is verryyy shaky.. im raising the pot when it comes to me.. b/c anybody w/ AK is coming.. possibly KQ.. and any overpair to the 6 might see a cheap turn (which you've provided, giving them outsanding odds w/ the $4 calll.. you actually helped their decision)

waiting to the river w/ all 5 cards out there is being A. very greedy and B. will cost you far too much money in the end reguardless of your reads..smarten up.. play in your face poker and you will gain in the end.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Oh yeah, sorry, the donk in the BB had K6.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Similar to leading out with the under-full you're not going to get any action on this flop unless somebody has a hand.

Tatoo this on your eyelid. Unless you have seen this player make this move with air, (you said he's solid, so this is not some donk play) this is always the NUTS.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Default A note on slowplaying

Hey Soul,

If you are going to slowplay a set, you have to pay very much attention what card peels off on the turn before deciding to stick it in.

If the turn had been a 2,4,5 I would be all for gung ho getting it in -- he doesn't play KK like that preflop unless he is the biggest luckbox in the world. More likely would be that he just spiked a set and thinks he is good.

But look at the action on the flop -- check check check. Then look at the action on the turn when the 8 peels -- bet, call, raise, minraise -- HUGE PUSH. You played this street very sketchily because of the call/minraise. This is a tell-tale set. Most opponents won't sniff it out, but this guy apparently did. He knows you have a set and he wants to give you the minimum amount of info to think your way out of this tough spot, so he pushes.

My main point is that if you are going to elect to slowplay, think about what theoretical turn cards let him catch up and still be behind and what turn cards should give you pause.

In this case, with deep stacks and a lowish-set, a lot of turn cards could theoretically cost your stack. Even so, with this turn card and turn action, you have been told that your set is no good.

And also note that if you had potted the flop, the donk would have raised you big and the guy who spiked on the turn would have folded instantly. I'm sorry to point it out, but the one check on the flop created a catastrophe in this hand.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: A note on slowplaying

Thanks for the great response Wayfare, I think its very clear that I would have stacked the BB if I had potted the flop, instead I got stacked by the MP. I was very close to folding on the turn, for the reasons you said, it was one of those times where every feeling you have is telling you you're beat, but its not your A-game and you call anyway. The MP pushing to give me less information is not a play I had considered.