Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Default AA faces all-in overbet on the flop

I'm playing the 600max on party today, and I pick up AA UTG. We're ten handed and the game is aggressive by my standards for the 600 game, so I figure i'll do something I've never done before online, ever. Limp with the intention of re-raising. So I limp in and it folds around to the button who makes it $18 to go. I dont have the hand history in front of me, but I raised to around $65. Button calls with roughly $1100 behind and I cover.

Flop comes 9 7 2 rainbow and I lead for $120, and the button moves all-in for around $1000 more.

I've played three orbits with him and I cant tell you anything real descriptive. He seems to be just another unknown player. His handle on party is uberfishish or something like that. So no reads.....

As far as my play is concerned, the only thing that might stick out was when I raised UTG with a sooted 78 and stacked a short stack when he pushed on a flop of A 7 7 with his AK after he smooth called the PF raise.

Obviously AA has a ton of equity here, like, always, but I'm relatively new to online NL and I havent faced these massive overbets before. I've actually made this move myself when I wanted a call in a live game and had a good read on someone, so that's the only real experience I have with them.

Anybody who's dealt with these unknown overbets, please chime in and share some thoughts.

Tex
Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: AA faces all-in overbet on the flop

He either has 1) an overpair (which he thinks the money is going in anyway), 2) a set trying to induce a call, or 3) is being an idiot with JT.

I think #2 is most likely, with #1 second most likely. I would probably fold, expecting to see either 99 or 77 if I had called.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:34 PM

LRR is not good with those stacks IMO. Not enough money goes in preflop for you to really gain anything by it.

I would fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 PM

I'd fold if you really know nothing about him. But three orbits at a 10-player table and you have no information? Seems like we're playing bad poker. If he's really been that quiet, it makes it an easier fold (he hasn't been making any noise/playing any hands for three rounds)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:47 PM

I would call and expect to see a smaller overpair most of the time. This is such a dry flop, I'd expect a set to wait until the turn to get aggressive.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 PM

Limping with the intention of raising is not a bad plan on an aggro ten handed table.

However, once its folded to button, you are faced with something not so good. You are out of position, with deep stacks, and you are about to reveal your hand (pretty much). The cost of that revelation is cheap ($50 more) compared to what he might be able to win (1k).

I think I would have abandoned my LRR plan, and just smooth called pre flop, and tried to win a small/medium pot out of position with my AA.

As it stands, I have to find a fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:15 PM

I fold to overbettor like this >85% of the time unless I have a good read on him--since you don't I'd let it go and watch him w/ eyebrows down for the rest of the session.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 PM

If the guy has even half a brain, he knows you have AA / KK. So either he doesnt care, or hes an idiot. I would fold since Im not sure which one is the case.

I stacked a guy today with JJ (top set) vs his AA in a very similar situation.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call and expect to see a smaller overpair most of the time. This is such a dry flop, I'd expect a set to wait until the turn to get aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy has even half a brain, he knows you have AA / KK. So either he doesnt care, or hes an idiot. I would fold since Im not sure which one is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, I like both reasonings, so it's a coin flip without a read, but...

[ QUOTE ]
But three orbits at a 10-player table and you have no information? If he's really been that quiet, it makes it an easier fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I choose fold...