Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Who is GIGABET?

Sorry for my naivety, but who is this GIGABET person?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Who is GIGABET?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for my naivety, but who is this GIGABET person?

[/ QUOTE ]

An aggressive player who was formerly the terror of the $200 Party SNGs, but is now on to bigger and better things.

I thought everyone knew who Gigabet is, but who is this Brunson guy who seems to be making a run at the tournament?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: GIGABET.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I opened in the cutoff with AdQd, JJ Liu makes it 140k from the button. Blinds fold. Flop is K66 rainbow. I check, JJ Liu bets 100k, I call. Turn is offsuit 2, I bet 200k, JJ calls. River is another offsuit blank, I shove for the rest of her stack(about 600k more). She calls and opens KK.

Earlier in the night, she folded KK face up on a flop of T66, with preflop action like this, phil laak opens utg for a standard raise. JJ Liu reraises big from the button, folds to Laak who calls. Laak leads the flop for 75k(with around 500k behind before the bet, I believe.) JJ raises Laak to 175k, with around 900k behind her. Laak shoves the rest of his stack in. She thinks for 10 minutes and then mucks KK face up.

Side Note: I had never been caught bluffing by anyone at the table, and JJ had consistently shown that she respected my raises, she knew I was out of line alot preflop, but postflop, she never saw anything from me that could be construed as "way out of line."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, when she called your 200k bet on the turn, did you get the impression at all that you were beat? Why did you move all in on the river, since you know you could only be called by a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

he probably thought AJ would pay him off.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I opened in the cutoff with AdQd, JJ Liu makes it 140k from the button. Blinds fold. Flop is K66 rainbow. I check, JJ Liu bets 100k, I call. Turn is offsuit 2, I bet 200k, JJ calls. River is another offsuit blank, I shove for the rest of her stack(about 600k more). She calls and opens KK.

Earlier in the night, she folded KK face up on a flop of T66, with preflop action like this, phil laak opens utg for a standard raise. JJ Liu reraises big from the button, folds to Laak who calls. Laak leads the flop for 75k(with around 500k behind before the bet, I believe.) JJ raises Laak to 175k, with around 900k behind her. Laak shoves the rest of his stack in. She thinks for 10 minutes and then mucks KK face up.

Side Note: I had never been caught bluffing by anyone at the table, and JJ had consistently shown that she respected my raises, she knew I was out of line alot preflop, but postflop, she never saw anything from me that could be construed as "way out of line."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, when she called your 200k bet on the turn, did you get the impression at all that you were beat? Why did you move all in on the river, since you know you could only be called by a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Gigabet is a fish. I read in some book that you are supposed to check/fold AK if you don't make a pair. I would assume the same applies to AQ. It is important to always fold if you might be behind.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really see JJ Liu, a solid player, calling on the turn, and then calling all her chips on the river with Ace high?

From the way the hand played out, it seemed like Gigabet was trying to represent at least AK if not KK, but Liu obviously wasn't scared of the flop. If she was trying to make a play withi AJ, I don't see her simply calling on the turn.

The only way I see Gigabet making this play is if he felt he had a very LAG table image, and that JJ saw this as well. Perhaps he thought that if he moved all in on the river, it would suggest he had to have a big hand, and would make any smaller PP fold. But after seeing JJ bet on the flop, and then call on the turn, I don't see how he could imagine her folding when the 2 came on the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM

It's a joke, she's never going to call with AJ. Given the preflop and postflop action, and the fact that she sounds pretty tight (folding a monster overpair to habitual bluffer Laak, in what smells like a bluff from here), gigabet probably put her on exactly AA-JJ and was trying to push her off. He probably ran some NASA simulation in his head and determined that the odds of her having KK were low enough that it was a +eV play.

Still, with all due deference, seems a little hard to defend that final river push, and I don't notice a lot of people here trying. Seems like *maybe* one of those caught-up-in-the-moment and/or getting *too far* off your normal game trying to capitalize on a perceived weakness in an opponent - situations that happens to even the great ones.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: WOW

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Glynn Beebe raises to $36,000 from the cutoff position, Joe Cassidy reraises to $136,000, and Beebe moves all in for $391,000. Joe Cassidy calls, and Beebe shows Ks-Jd. But Cassidy shows -- the Hammer! 7h-2h! Beebe is a favorite to double up here. The flop comes Qc-5c-5s, and Beebe is still in the lead with king high. But the 7d falls on the turn, giving Cassidy the lead with a pair of sevens. Beebe needs a jack or a king to stay alive, but the river card is the 2d.

Glynn Beebe is in shock as he is eliminated in 32nd place -- by seven-deuce. Joe Cassidy now has a huge lead with $1.85 million in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cassidy has 2 mil in chips, and he just called 200K with A-high and called a 260K all-in reraise with 72. I think it's safe to say nobody is going to be playing back at him without a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was getting 2.2-1 pot odds, his cards were suited and likely live. If he folds in that situation, people won't know he had 72 and will think he is weak/tight and play back at him. Very easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easy? 2.2-1 is not enough against a reasonable range of shoving hands here. It is close enough that the metagame probably justifies it, but I think you guys throw around phrases like "very easy call" a little too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is button versus blinds. AKo is 1.6-1 against 72s. Obviously 72o is in worse shape against a pp. However, villain probably doesn't have a big hand. The KJo he had was typical.

I am pretty sure 72s is better than 2.2-1 against villain's range, but even if it wasn't, this would still be an easy call. 72s is a good restealing hand, but I am sure part of purpose of playing it to begin with was psychological.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the range I gave him when even when I was playing with this earlier, but even when I gave him a huge range (any pair, any 2 broadway, any suited ace, etc.) the call was still only marginally profitable. My point is, and not to personally go after you, is that too many posters say calls are "very easy" or "standard" all the time when in fact its a very close decision.

I mean, if this is a very easy call, how much would CO have to push in for it to be a marginal call?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, with all due deference, seems a little hard to defend that final river push, and I don't notice a lot of people here trying. Seems like maybe one of those "caught-up-in-the-moment" situations that happens to even the great ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, the STT forum will be here soon to slobber all over anything gigabet does.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really see JJ Liu, a solid player, calling on the turn, and then calling all her chips on the river with Ace high?

From the way the hand played out, it seemed like Gigabet was trying to represent at least AK if not KK, but Liu obviously wasn't scared of the flop. If she was trying to make a play withi AJ, I don't see her simply calling on the turn.

The only way I see Gigabet making this play is if he felt he had a very LAG table image, and that JJ saw this as well. Perhaps he thought that if he moved all in on the river, it would suggest he had to have a big hand, and would make any smaller PP fold. But after seeing JJ bet on the flop, and then call on the turn, I don't see how he could imagine her folding when the 2 came on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, Gigabet saw one high card on the board and figured this is a good board to bluff at. If she didn't have AK, KK, AA, or QQ, she might not have been able to call. The problem is that when a solid player reraises preflop, she is likely to have one of those hands.

Gigabet is a LAG and could have anything, but it seems unlikely he would flat call are reraise with a king. If he had QQ-AA or AK he probably would have made a 3rd raise preflop.

This is a classic case of trapping a LAG. I don't want to be accused of stereotyping, but women and particularly oriental women tend to be good at appearing passive and luring someone in to a trap.

Of course this kind of aggressive play looks bad when it doesn't work, but it often works.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like folding KK face up paid big dividends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing... nice hand!