Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM

Default WHOAH!! What do I do on this Turn ??

This hand was on Ultimate Bet a few days ago, apparently I didn't have Ultimate History on at the time and the hand history has been lost to the poker ether. Tough turn spot with no reads that left me at a loss as what to do.

UB NL 50 10 Handed

Effective Stacks 50

Preflop:
Folded to hero in MP2 With AhQh, I raise to 2.00
CO calls
BB calls

Flop: AcQc8c
(Pot 6.25)
BB Checks
Hero bets 6.50
CO folds
BB Calls

Turn: 3d
(Pot 19.25)
BB bets 9.50
Hero????

After thinking for a bit I narrowed Villain's most likely hand range to a set of 88's, flopped baby flush, AK with Kc, or maybe a weaker two pair, and I wasn't sure what to do. Is my range to narrow? What would you do here?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: WHOAH!! What do I do on this Turn ??

Looks a lot like a flush draw trying to get an inexpensive river, but it could be something stronger as well. Call with position, see what happens on the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 PM

Is raising on the Turn here right out? If it is a flush draw trying to get a cheap river isn't it proper to make a Pot-sized raise here or more to make villain make a mistake according to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker? Calling here leaves me with a tough river decision if it blanks out and villain leads for 2/3 pot or more. On blank river do I call any 1/2 pot bets or greater, 1/2 pot bet on river is giving me 3/1 on call and I really can't see folding. If checked to on river do I make a value bet? Essentially, I really don't see what just calling on the turn accomplishes.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was on Ultimate Bet a few days ago, apparently I didn't have Ultimate History on at the time and the hand history has been lost to the poker ether. Tough turn spot with no reads that left me at a loss as what to do.

UB NL 50 10 Handed

Effective Stacks 50

Preflop:
Folded to hero in MP2 With AhQh, I raise to 2.00
CO calls
BB calls

Flop: AcQc8c
(Pot 6.25)
BB Checks
Hero bets 6.50
CO folds
BB Calls

Turn: 3d
(Pot 19.25)
BB bets 9.50
Hero????

After thinking for a bit I narrowed Villain's most likely hand range to a set of 88's, flopped baby flush, AK with Kc, or maybe a weaker two pair, and I wasn't sure what to do. Is my range to narrow? What would you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, this sucks without reads. The SB coming alive on a blank turn after check-calling the flop doesn't look good to me. It looks like a flush because that 3 on the turn didn't help his hand.

You've got to ask yourself why SB would do this with AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I don't see a compelling reason why he'd play that way with those hands. The hands that remain for him to play are 88 and made flushes from SCs like J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I fold here because a call basically commits me to calling most rivers and I don't wanna call most rivers.

I am very curious as to what others think is going on here.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM

Your dead on Godfather, I didn't think SB would play AKc or AJc, etc. in that manner. His turn bet just made me sick, because as you pointed out if I just call here, I'm committed to calling most rivers, which is even sicker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Common WA/WB situation, if I raise, all hands that I beat are folding, barring the unlikely AKc or AJc or, stretching it here, A8 or A3, and all hands that have me crushed are calling. As my time bank ran down (god I wish UB had a time bank like pstars) I was thinking folding was my best option.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 PM

If an A, or Q lands on the river, woudl that clear things up for you? lol
If a 4th club lands , would you be more cautious?

of course.
If a blank falls you are no worse off than on the turn.

The call gives you more information.
The situation is unclear, so more information is good. Call the turn.
With a blank, I'd call the river for 1/2 pot bet or less.