Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Four Kinds of Atheists.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in science has done anything to discredit god, so if it wasn't sensible to be an athiest 200+ years ago it still isn't today.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point DS was making is that recent discoveries in science make the need for God's control less likely in order to keep the world spinning, universe ticking, etc.

I view it differently. The more we discover about how our universe operates, the more likely that it was very intricately designed rather than a random occurrence. It baffles me that someone could have kids and not see this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's DS's point but its not right. Science may have provided insight into the nature of god's world (if god existed) but says nothing about the existence of god or otherwise.

chez
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

I was looking at the more general statement Sklansky seemingly tries to make that atheism purely on a philosophical basis should not be taken seriously. Maybe I misread him, but if this was his intention, it seems to me that likewise ANY religous person should in his opinion not be taken seriously.

But I dont read this forum often, so good chance I misread his intentions.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking at the more general statement Sklansky seemingly tries to make that atheism purely on a philosophical basis should not be taken seriously. Maybe I misread him, but if this was his intention, it seems to me that likewise ANY religous person should in his opinion not be taken seriously.

But I dont read this forum often, so good chance I misread his intentions.

[/ QUOTE ]
You probably got it right but its just DS's funny ways. Obviously you don't need any reason at all to be an athiest. Reasons are needed to believe, not to not believe.

I take most people fairly seriously but why intelligent people think you need scientific evidence to see that theist's beliefs are not based on reason or evidence is a mystery. Just ask them why they believe.

chez
Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Science may have provided insight into the nature of god's world (if god existed) but says nothing about the existence of god or otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% correct.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Those who deep down want there to be no God so they don't have to answer to him

2. Those who feel that if God is as portrayed in the bible he is undeserving of worship.

3. Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue agianst the necessity of a God to explain things.

4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

Only the fourth type of atheist should be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

What about the people who just don't give a [censored] and don't need to rationalize everything and look for approval?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1st farmer that killed his goat, only to realize that water and gorilla sht were the reason oats grew better had all the information needed to justify thinking, "hmmm, so it's not so bright to assume a incredibly improbable story that explains nothing just because I don't understand some detail yet."

#4 types are the ones I would respect the least, since they're thinking they need a reason NOT to believe. They are closet Gappers.. And their disbelief today is no more justified than it was 400 years ago.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I view it differently. The more we discover about how our universe operates, the more likely that it was very intricately designed rather than a random occurrence. It baffles me that someone could have kids and not see this.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.evolutionary.tripod.com/d..._1996_full.pdf

Read pages 43-45.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Those who deep down want there to be no God so they don't have to answer to him

2. Those who feel that if God is as portrayed in the bible he is undeserving of worship.

3. Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue agianst the necessity of a God to explain things.

4. Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. Things that previously seemed so astonishing that a God, as farfetched as the idea is, was a more likely explanation than anything else. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now much more reasonable to expect that still unexplained phenomenon will also eventually be explained by science rather than the God of the bible

Only the fourth type of atheist should be taken seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which type are you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm #2 & #4... but more of a "skeptic" by nature... who has learned that things that are far fetched usally aren't true, and therefore I need more evidence of them being true. I'm not sure what #3 means, by the way. Maybe I'm that too.

Should an amalgamated atheist be taken seriously too? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 PM

I thought this might be light and amusing... a sort of converse, kind of like Kant's 4 antinomes....

4 types of Theists

1) Those who deep down want there to be a God because they feel the need to answer to someone.

2) Those who feel that God is portrayed in the Bible and with all of his bloodshed and forgiveness, he is deserving of worship.

3) Those who apply philosophical principles going back hundreds of years to argue for the necessity of a God to explain the existence of things.

4)Those who look at the things that science has only recently explained. And while, they notice just how far science has come, realize that the gulf between things know and things unknown always seems to grow, the more knowledge that is attained. And upon looking at those recent explanations come to the conclusion that it is now even more reasonable than ever to expect that even more unexplained phenomenon will have to be attributed to the God of the bible.

*note, I am not a Theist, nor do I think that any type of reasoning whatsoever can lead one towards or away from God.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*note, I am not a Theist, nor do I think that any type of reasoning whatsoever can lead one towards or away from God .

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasoning is precisely how one moves away from god.