Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 PM

Default AQ vs donkey & nit.. early round of STT satellite

Hi all
I play mostly LHE and LO8, so i'm kind of a tard when it comes to NLHE tournaments. This is a STT sat for AP's 90k guaranteed, it pays 2 places.

blinds are 10/20, you have 1300.. idiot opens UTG for 60, he's raised that same amount in about 40% of pots so far. He's really active and not likely to have much. Tightish player who has doubled up in the first hand but not played any pots besides that flat calls the 60, you are in front of CO with AQo. What is the best play? What hand ranges can you put each player on?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: AQ vs donkey & nit.. early round of STT satellite

Since AK is a pretty vulnerable hand, I think you can expect a reraise most of the time. I say go ahead and play here, and play any Q or A flop. Otherwise lay it down. Or you can go ahead and just lay it down preflop. I personally like a call here though (hoping to hit TPTK, or TPGK and get paid from the loose donk).
Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 AM

dont listen to rbear... he keeps trying to give advice when he doesnt even know what implied odds are...

but you should definatly raise it up... 200 is a good # because you have position and all that good stuff
Old 12-08-2005, 04:01 AM

nh brett-- btw, funny you criticize me, yet you can't even spell definitely [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Do you read at a 7th grade level too?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 AM

ha...im playing 9 tables right now... but thats no excuse...ill sp. check next time
Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 AM

early in the tournament you want to avoid big pots. smooth call, try to take it down on a good flop. otherwise check fold. you lose 60 chips, irrelevant at this point in the tourney.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 AM

BTW, instead of cutting me down, maybe you should focus on adding something to the forum.
Have to hand it to you though, it is pretty hard to surpass such poignant posts as "yes", "lay it down", "wow", and "what'd I miss?" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Tightish player is most likely calling with small pair or sitting on a monster. His call in early position seems fishy. Idiot could be playing anything so I probably raise to 180 or so just to see where I stand or I fold completely. You probably get donk heads up with his Ax (sooted etc) and you get tighty to drop his small pair or he hammers you with a monster raise. Either way you get a better feel for where you stand. STT are not the place to be calling, especially early in a tourney. This also assumes your table image is somewhat tightish also, otherwise it looks like a positional raise and expect a steal attempt behind you.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 PM

In a STT early, I'd much rather call for cheap w/ AQo in position, than 3x a pot with such a vulnerable hand. We don't know that tight player will reraise, just as likely tight passive, as tight aggressive.

What happens when both players stay in? Now you have 500 in the middle, and any continuation bet will have to be significant to take the pot down (you'll have more than 1/3 your stack in the middle, if you choose this route). Keep the pot small by cold calling, see a flop, and go from there.
Say an ace comes, and your read is correct that donk has Ax. Donk bets, tight folds w/ no AK, and you stack em. Why risk more than you have to. Additionally, a continuation bet on this flop would be ~100, where it's much bigger if you bump it up so much.