Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-01-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Beta Blockers

According to a Swedish semi-pro I talked to (He's previously played darts and bridge at an international level) it's quite common to use some type of "relaxative" in these events - be that alcohol (in very moderate amounts), beta blockers or the drug of your choice.

According to him, they could all enhance performance, but the problem was that to really make them work in a competition setting, you had to use them while training as well...

Hello addiction!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
, but it is prescribed to some of my friends with ADD (they dont have ADHD, there is a difference).

[/ QUOTE ]

what's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

H
Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 PM

H = Hyperactivity
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've used them for auditions before and hated them. They dulled my senses and my thinking wasn't as sharp. Those downsides aren't as big a deal playing an instrument but as logic and reasoning are so important in poker, I wouldn't dream of using them to play cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn i wish i would have known about these during my sight singing courses. I am a percussionist and sight singing almost killed me, still would be interesting to try foreven percussion performances I get nervous for.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
Old 12-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Here's an article about beta-blockers being used by professional musicians:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/ar...&position=
(NY Times login required)
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Sorry, it took so long to get back on the difference.

ADD is Attention Defecit Disorder

ADHD Attention Defecit Hyper-Activity Disorder

ADHD combines the effects of ADD and the inability to control ones calm behavior. Many ADD kids are very civl, using an educational reference, it is just that they cannot concentrate on a subject matter long enough to absorb the material. ADHD is what most ppl think of when they think of ADD. ADHD is the kid that cant concentrate and he is wild as hell.

I guess a small technical difference but then again we are not very good at truly understanding the complex world we live in.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. That's pretty cute. I was being sarcastic. There is not an actual diagnosis of "ADD" there is only ADHD with subtypes. Check the DSM-IV TR.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM

I don't necessarily see the advantages of taking these for poker really. Unless you are new to the game and get nervous, or maybe if there is a TV crew while you are playing, otherwise I play every hand the same and performing infront of people doesn't change the math, my reads, or the cards dealt to me. It is more for people in public performances like I said in earlier post about sight singing. Try singing different scales in front of 75 people until you get them right. That is a beeeyatch. In fact I believe that to be the reason I feel any anxiety today, didn't even know what it felt like until sight singing.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is not an actual diagnosis of "ADD" there is only ADHD with subtypes. Check the DSM-IV TR.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, a number of books written for the lay audience like to call one subtype ADD. They often acknowledge that that isn't what the DSM-IV does, but then say that they disagree with the DSM-IV.

I have found that more people have heard of ADD than ADHD, and that many of those who have heard of ADHD view ADD as a separate but related disorder. In terms of communicating to people, saying that I have ADD is effective at conveying that I am not hyperactive, but my attention span is shorter than the cat's.