Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Legit Media Watchdogs for the Right?

For monitoring the media for conservative bias, the obvious site is www.mediamatters.org for the left-leaners. But what is the leading watchdog which looks for liberal leaning decite or inaccuracies? A quick search found MRC, thatliberalmedia, and NewsBusters, but is there anything closer to mediamatters on the right?

I found the sites above to be different than mediamatters in that they seem sarcastic and not as focused on actual missed facts. For instance, on MRC one mainstream reporter noting that the idea of a liberal MSM bias was a myth was cited as liberal bias in the MSM, while liberal opinion pieces without lies or misrepresetation were strangely cited as liberal bias. Other sites were not really fact-checkers or watchdogs.

If such an equivalent does not exist, I suppose my initial explanation would be that the left really has no equivalent to talk radio and the FNC, which provide a lot of the worst offenses cited by mediamatters. Still this answer does not satisfy since many examples of missed facts or very misleading misrepresentations which favor the right are identified in the MSM by mediamatters as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Legit Media Watchdogs for the Right?

The Media Research Center is the leading one. www.mrc.org

Unlike Media Matters, the MRC actually reports on items on the major network news programs.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Default The MRC has hard-hitting items like these.

'NBC's Matt Lauer predicts the President won't have an easy time stressing human rights in China because "the administration itself is under the spotlight over the subject of torture," while NPR's Nina Totenberg is appalled to hear the CIA has terrorist leaders locked up in secret prisons overseas: "It is the first time in my live I have been ashamed of my country."'

If that's not overwhelmingly loony lefty moonbat liberal bias, I don't know what is. Also, comforting that the MRC is certain that the only ones "locked up" (wink wink) overseas are "terrorist leaders".
Old 11-28-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: The MRC has hard-hitting items like these.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, comforting that the MRC is certain that the only ones "locked up" (wink wink) overseas are "terrorist leaders".

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't we caught Bin Laden's top leader like 24 times already? Some of those terrorist organizations must have more vice presidents than General Motors.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Legit Media Watchdogs for the Right?

Well if MRC is the leading one, then I wonder if the argument for a liberal media is in trouble!

Of course the media could be made up of liberals pushing an agenda through far argument. But a comparison of MediaMatters vs MediaResearch shows that conservative misinformation, misleading statement, quotes taken out of context, and flat out lies is much more prevelent. MRC reports what it sees as liberal leanings in the media but rarely anything close to the lies in MM items on conservatives.

The President of MRC wrote this article a few days ago. He manges to take Mertha way out of context to paint him as anti-war and then suggests the house voted down Mertha's resolution ("Bush 403, Mertha 3") ( here ).

Mertha's resolution of course was to start withdrawing troops now to be out in perhaps 6 months, leaving a rapid reaction force in perhaps Kuwait, while the mesure voted on was a one-line Republican resolution saying withdraw all tropps now. Did Brent know Mertha himself didn't vote for the Republican resolution? Of course. Are you telling me this spin guy is the President of the most legit fact-checking documenter of the liberal media? Weak.........and perhaps telling.