Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 AM

Default crazy pains on my shoulder blades, neck, especially my right side

it's been on going but nothing like this. I played like 4 20 min sessions today and could barely stand it anymore. Got a massage after 2 sessions and it felt great but after 20 min on the computer again my shoulders, shoulder blades, and neck (right side) are killing me. Maybe someone here has magic remedy before I get some profess. help.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: crazy pains on my shoulder blades, neck, especially my right side

Stretches, anti-inflammatories and time....While waitng for this to settle, try a rolled up towel, vertically between the shoulder blades and lean into it. then when it settles,figure out the cause...

I get this when my mouse hand is too high, so now I set my (wireless) mousedown at comfortable waist level when playing. If it was set high, I get a horrible tightness in the rhomboids (muscles betwen the shoulder blades, that will last for a week.

The other factor is when watching a TV off to one side and playing as well. that constant turn over a few hours just wrecks my neck.

I tried massage and physio +++ before working out my ergonomics

Cheers and good luck with this....

Crowsnest
Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 AM

time to visit the doctor

not 2+2 internet forum
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I get this when my mouse hand is too high, so now I set my (wireless) mousedown at comfortable waist level when playing. If it was set high, I get a horrible tightness in the rhomboids (muscles betwen the shoulder blades, that will last for a week.

Crowsnest

[/ QUOTE ]

You're solution is interesting. I suffer from the same shoulder pain. I'm gonna try lowering the mouse/heightening my chair. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 AM

1000 mg of ibprofuen. Add more if necessary. Should clear up any aching muscles.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:01 AM

I get similar problems if my computer desk isn't set up correctly, or if I'm slouched over using a laptop. Have a look at this link and try and match it with your computer setup.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 AM

I have a similar pain, only in the right shoulder.

Maybe it is the mouse height.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 AM

Ok, first off visit the doctor.

Then take a long look at your work place. Is it set up properly? When sitting in your chair with your feet flat on your ground your knees should be at almost exactly 90 degrees angle. Preferably your chair has lumbar support so you don't stress your spine. (Also, you do remove your wallet from your back pocket before sitting for six hours I hope?)

Your upper arm should be vertical, with a 90 degree bend at the elbow, and you should grip the mouse in front of your chest. You primarily use the mouse when playing, and the primary tool should be in front of the chest. The reason it's 'usually' off to the side is because people use the keyboard and only occasionally the mouse. Not so in our profession.

Get a mouse for your non-dominant hand, and use it 75% of the time for a few months. Go to a good store and try out other pointing devices. A trackball for variation does wonders. Get a vertical mouse, like the ones from Evoluent.

To understand why you want this just hold out your hand like you'd shake someone's hand. Place the pinky side of your hand on the work table. Slowly twist your hand inward until the palm is on the table and feel what happens in your joints, the bones of the lower arm and your shoulder. Then go buy a vertical mouse.

Take micro pauses in work, stretch, lean your head, roll your shoulders. Do this every single time there is a two second lull in the action, and when you are pondering a decision.

Once the shoulder stops hurting start going to the gym four days a week. There is no getting away from this one unless you want to be a cripple in a few years time. Get a professional trainer to help you learn the ropes and design a program for a three month period. Revisit him after that time for a new program and follow ups.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a similar pain, only in the right shoulder.

Maybe it is the mouse height.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here. while the pain, i can tell, originates between my shoulder blade (typically the right), it causes the worst shooting pain into my neck (on the right side). it was so bad one day a month ago that i couldnt hold my neck up straight. since then, ive been doing a little neck stretching mid-session and havent had much pain at all.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 PM

I couldn't disagree more with the people advocating medication. There is obviously something wrong with your setup and that is causing the pain. If you medicate and not fix the problem, you will mask the problem and make things much worse.

Go see a doctor and allow him to help you figure out a setup that works for you.