Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain something to me?

[ QUOTE ]
It would just seem to me that if people are folding to these value bets on that consistent a basis, it would become unrealistically easy to knock people off medium strength hands by betting a relatively small percentage of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bets are on the cheap side unless I have a reason to bet big, so I am definitely with you on this in the games I play*. In this game (which I have only experienced vicariously) the big bet seems really popular. I don't know why sizing bets smaller in general would be bad here, but it may be. Perhaps many of the players in this game really love heavy action and gambling it up, so maybe the way to make the most is to indulge them and just make sure you win more of the big pots than they do. Or maybe it's just accepted as the norm and someone who came in with a smaller bet style could garner the same returns with less variance.

*Also, in the games I play, people tend to play pretty transparently, and don't change styles nearly enough (if at all) to make decisions really hard.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 50/100 NL Hand

Pot.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM

I pot it.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have you been doing any more of that overbet bluff?

i really like a huge bet here. push.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opponents are unknown and it seems a bit thin 77-JJ calling. If I had AQ-KQ, Id like it alot more.

I think in this hand I like underbetting. Betting pot is also pretty thin bet imo. Although underbetting might be begging to get bluffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity-what other hands do you tend to underbet on the river? Do you make a lot of small value bets? I used to do this but decided it's probably leaving money on the table when I have a hand and now I tend to bet every river big regardless of if I'm bluffing or value betting.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The opponents are unknown and it seems a bit thin 77-JJ calling. If I had AQ-KQ, Id like it alot more.

I think in this hand I like underbetting. Betting pot is also pretty thin bet imo. Although underbetting might be begging to get bluffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity-what other hands do you tend to underbet on the river? Do you make a lot of small value bets? I used to do this but decided it's probably leaving money on the table when I have a hand and now I tend to bet every river big regardless of if I'm bluffing or value betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this hand was interesting because it was against unknowns. that is why i considered underbetting, because i dont feel like unknowns are very likely to call an overbet in this situation with a worse hand. against someone ive been playing with alot potting it here is standard.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this hand was interesting because it was against unknowns. that is why i considered underbetting, because i dont feel like unknowns are very likely to call an overbet in this situation with a worse hand. against someone ive been playing with alot potting it here is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we should have paid more attention to that. Obviously against unknowns you're less worried about meta-game purposes. I assume you're also less likely to think villains are tricksy, aggressive, and thoughtful? If so the underbet is good because you're not worried about a check-raise nor about villain mucking a JJ-type hand figuring this can't be a post-oak bluff.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push.

PS You haven't written your weekly essay !

[/ QUOTE ]

Havent been focusing on poker, but as you can see in my location, my website has been updated. I think I am taking a month off from poker. Pretty bored even after running insanely hot at 50/100 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a few days ago you were all fired up to learn to beat GoG. What happened?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Havent been focusing on poker, but as you can see in my location, my website has been updated. I think I am taking a month off from poker. Pretty bored even after running insanely hot at 50/100 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a few days ago you were all fired up to learn to beat GoG. What happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

my mind changes alot.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More like pretty bored BECAUSE you ran insanely hot at 50/100. Pretty common really.
-James
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 PM

look at it from his perspective...the queen on the river makes it seem less likely you have one...making him more likely to call with 99, which is what he probably has.