Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: REPHRASE

I would certainly do it with QQ, and I would often do it with AK against a player I have covered.

AK is favored against a pair, after all, if the pair has a decent chance of folding.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: fold kk preflop vs solid player?

You both had healthy stacks (above average) before this hand. Why would either of you get involved like this without a strong holding? I don't think villain plays this way with AK/QQ. There's a chance he has KK, but when I see the 3rd raise in a cash game it almost always means he has AA. If you push preflop, you know he's calling. One way to play it is to call, then push any non-Ace flop (which is likely). If a Q or J hits the flop and you push, villain will have something to think about.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 AM

ok, this is what I was looking for - good players saying that they would play qq that way (I personally disagree, but that's ok)

I called and lost to aa, but thought about it logically and realized that I wouldn't have made that play with anything but aa and wondered if it was the case for other solid players
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

you guys would play it that way?

The bet was 100 and villain went in for 10,000.

That's a fold.. you need better pot odds than that to call, even if you're sure he does that w/ QQ too.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

I can't see laying this down.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM

what?

If he does that with qq too (assuming he does it with only qq and aa) it means you're 50% vs his range and you're getting 2.5:1 on your money... it's only a fold if you're very confident he only does it with aces

I have no idea what 'the bet was 100 and villain went allin for 10,000' means, but even if that was the case, it would be a +EV call (barely) if his range is QQ-AA
Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's a fold.. you need better pot odds than that to call, even if you're sure he does that w/ QQ too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get 100 bet from? Looks like a raise of 3200 from hero then push of 10k.

And the answer on folding KK is no. Not even close.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What bet was 100? Hero raised to 3200, then Villain re-raised to 10,000.

Like I said, it's certainly not a call 100% of the time situation with KK there, but it's definitely a call more often than not one.

Good players want you to call when they have AA and a raise that big is borderline. If he'd gone all-in instead of making it 10k and I think he's at least a half way decent player, I'm calling with KK. If nothing he's shown so far makes me think he's any good, I probably fold and let him take the 3200 chips.

Again, it has a lot to do with your read on the villain. Based on the information given, I'd be calling here.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM

get serious. push him in, he is pot committed and if he shows aces so be it. What you think is solid for your play could be viewed as weak-tight by him and he could be making this move with a wide range.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Laying down KK in low-limit games is -EV.

End of Thread.

Indy